Fire Roasted Vegetables done on the BBQ and then drizzled with a tangy cilantro lime dressing. A vibrant, colourful side dish that is perfect for chicken, beef, and seafood. Really pretty much any meat or serve as alongside grilled tofu for a delicious vegan option.
This recipe takes about a half-hour to make which gives you just the right time to fire up the BBQ and make your favourite main dish.
Fire Roasted Vegetables Recipe – The Perfect Side To Any Dish!
I love making a big batch of roasted vegetables as part of my meal prep especially in the summer when I can fire roast them on the barbecue. But don’t get me wrong this versatile side dish is great any time of the year and can easily be done in the oven on a sheet pan.
Red onions, sweet bell peppers, mushrooms, and zucchini is my favourite combination in the summer. But, another reason why I love this recipe so much is you can use any of your favourite vegetables. Which makes this an excellent recipe for using up any vegetables that are in the fridge that you have been ignoring.
Any combo works and will turn out bursting with flavour … and all the colours!
How To Make Perfectly Roasted Vegetables?
So what is the trick to making perfectly roasted vegetables? How do you get those nicely browned and crispy edges without burning your veggies or ending up with a soggy vegetable letdown?
- Thoroughly dry all the vegetables after washing and do not wash the mushrooms in water. Mushrooms will absorb the water and will never get the brown char you are looking for. Instead, brush any brown flecks off the mushrooms to clean with a dry paper towel.
- Ensure all the vegetable chunks are cooked to roughly the same size to that the vegetables cook more evenly.
- Toss with olive oil, salt, and pepper before putting on a BBQ. Add oil on the BBQ may cause flare-ups and that nice char you are looking for will go way beyond what you are hoping for…. think blackened veggies… yuck!
- Spread the vegetables out as much as you can when cooking to ensure that the vegetables cook evenly and don’t steam. If the vegetables are all bunched up the vegetables in the middle or out of the way of direct heat will steam and will not get the crispy edges and roasted char that you are looking for
- If using potatoes, sweet potatoes or corn at these to the pan or 10 minutes prior to adding the rest of the vegetables. They are much denser and require a little more cooking time.
- Only flip the vegetables halfway through cooking. They need a little time to brown.
Want more info? Click here for more!
How Long Should I Roast Vegetables For?
Approximate cook times based on 6 -7 cups of vegetable cut into 1 inch chunks and roasted at 425º F.
- Tomatoes, Kale, Green Beans, Asparagus – 20 minutes
- Bell Peppers, Zucchini, Squash, Broccoli, Cauliflower, Onions (broken in wedges), Carrots, Brussel Sprouts – 25 to 30 minutes
- Sweet Potatoes, Potatoes, Corn on the cob broken into large pieces – 35 minutes
How To This Make Cilantro Lime Roasted Vegetables Recipe
To make this Cilantro Lime Roasted Vegetables Recipe first cut up about 6-7 cups worth of your favourite veggies into 1″ pieces. Place in a large bowl.
Then preheat barbecue or oven to 425 degrees F. In the large bowl add 3 tbsp of olive oil and salt and pepper to taste…. you can always add more later. Toss vegetable to evenly coat and then spread vegetables out evenly on a large non-stick sheet pan or in a barbecue tray or large barbecue basket.
Cook for about 30 minutes depending on the sorts of vegetables you are using and toss/flip ONLY halfway through the cooking time.
While cooking it’s time to make the Cilantro Lime Dressing by adding to a small bowl 2 tbsp of fresh lime juice, 1 tbsp of olive oil, 2 tsp of honey, 1/8 tsp of chili powder and 1 1/2 tbsp of fresh finely chopped cilantro. Mix well.
If you like this recipe please give if 5* and leave a comment.
Cilantro Lime Fire Roasted Vegetables
- Barbecue or Oven
- Barbecue Basket or Non-Stick Sheet Pan
- Large Bow
- Small Bowl
- Chopping Knife
- Measuring Spoons
- 2 cups bell peppers cut chunks
- 2 cups zucchini cut into 1" round slices
- 1 cup red onion cut into 1" wedges and separated
- 1 cup mushrooms
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
Cilantro Lime Dressing
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 2 tsp liquid honey
- 1/8 tsp chili powder
- 1 1/2 tbsp fresh cilantro finely chopped
- Preheat Barbecue or Oven to 425 degrees F
- Chop vegetables into approximately 1 - 1 1/2" chunks and place in a large bowl
- Add 3 tbsp of olive oil and salt and pepper to taste. Toss well to evenly coat.
- Place vegetables evenly in a bbq basket or a large sheet pan as separated as possible.
- Baked for about 30 minutes turning or tossing only once halfway through
- Remove from heat and transfer to a large bowl.
Cilantro Lime Dressing
- In a small bowl add the 1 tbsp olive oil, 2 tbsp fresh lime juice, 2 tsp honey, 1/8 tsp chili powder and 1 1/2 tbsp of finely chopped fresh cilantro. Mix well. Drizzle over roasted vegetables and serve.
If you like this recipe you may also like…
Pin it for later!