Crispy sliced cucumbers in an Asian inspired vinaigrette that is so simple to prepare you will likely want to make this all the time as a quick alternative to a side salad. Rice Wine vinegar, sesame oil, salt and pepper… that’s all!
When I was a kid cucumber was one of my favourite veggies to eat … possibly the only veggie I remember eating, to tell the truth. Sorry, that isn’t true I was a weirdo and liked Lima beans. Like I said, weirdo!
My kids love cucumbers too. As I kid my mom used to just slice them up and add vinegar, salt and pepper and that was our side veggie. Not very imaginative but sometimes the best things are the simplest things.
This Asian Cucumber Salad is a twist on that old favourite but instead of standard white vinegar uses rice vinegar and a touch of sesame oil.
What is a bit of a bummer about cucumbers is that they don’t last long once you cut them. A day later and they start to get soft and mushy. When I slice them and put them in this vinaigrette I can usually get two days out of them but they really are best fresh.
My kids like to just eat plain cucumbers too so when I buy an English cucumber it is tough because they don’t get through it in a day. But there is hope.
Here are some tips for keeping cucumbers fresher longer.
How to Store Cucumbers So They Stay Fresh Longer:
- When you first bring them home from the grocery store remove them from any plastic packaging, wash them and dry them thoroughly. Cucumbers need to be completely dry extend their shelf life and sometimes moisture can get trapped under the plastic wrap
- When they are try wrap them in a dry paper towel or dish towel. I do this with lettuce and cut peppers too. Wrapping them in a dry cloth keeps the humidity and moisture from the fridge away and reduces early deterioration
- Put the wrapped cucumbers inside a clean plastic bag and close loosely. A little air flow is a good thing
- Keep cool but not too cold. If they freeze they will go mushy right away.
- If you use half a cucumber simply cover the end with plastic wrap and put back tuck back in the cloth wrap and bag as before
- The cucumbers should last for up to a week to use in salads or to much on in the nude… I mean sans vinaigrette not you naked eating cucumbers… but then again each to their own!
Cucumbers are just so fresh and crunchy and mostly water so they make a great veggie to eat when trying to lose weight as well.
Other great cucumber recipes to try!
So there you have it … a crunchy, quick and satisfying side to go with any meal or as a healthy snack!
Asian Cucumber Salad
- Medium bowl
- Measuring Spoons
- Mixing Spoon
- 1 English Cucumber or 4 mini cucumbers washed and thinly sliced
- 2 1/2 tbsp Rice Wine Vinegar
- 1 tsp Sesame Oil
- 1/4 tsp Sea Salt
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper or to taste
- 1 tsp sesame seeds (toasted or untoasted) optional
- Wash and slice the cucumbers and place in a medium bowl
- Add vinegar, sesame oil, salt and pepper and toss
- Top with sesame seeds if you wish
- Eat right away or cover and store in fridge for up to two days