Meyer Lemons add a twist to a simple margarita recipe giving it a little bit of sweetness but with the same burst of citrus flavour every margarita is known for. No need to have simple syrup on hand just Tequila, Triple Sec, a bag of Meyer Lemons and salt and sugar to rim the glass.
A great patio drink for the summer! Warning – these go down really well so drink responsibly. Recipe testing was a hard job and had me going no where for the day!
Margaritas are a favourite of many people all year round and are particularly popular in the summer. I find that the traditional margarita recipe is just too sour for me so when I had a bag of Meyer lemons that I know I need to use up I got the bright idea to substitute the lime juice for the Meyer lemon juice.
The result … I think I have found my new summer go to cocktail recipe! Slightly sweet with the same citrus flavour margaritas are known for. This recipe is perfect to go alongside these Baja Fish Tacos or with this Cuban Pork Tenderloin.
How to Make a Meyer Lemon Margarita
A simple margarita recipe without any fuss. Zest the lemons, juice the lemons. pour into a cocktail shaker with ice along with the triple sec and tequila. Shake, serve in a rimmed margarita glass.
Doesn’t get any easier than that!
What is the difference between a Meyer Lemon and a regular Lemon?
Meyer lemons are slightly smaller and rounder than a regular lemon and are thought to be a cross between a lemon and a tangerine or mandarin orange. They are a little sweeter than a regular lemon so are great for salad dressings and cocktails. So sweet in fact some people eat Meyer lemons just like an orange.
Meyer lemons were first introduced to the United States from Beijing, China, in the early 20th century by Frank Meyer. Hence the name. Check out this article for more on Meyer lemons.
What to substitute for Meyer Lemons if you can’t find them
To replace the juice (or zest) of 1 Meyer lemon, simply swap in the juice (…or zest) of equal parts tangerine and lemon juice or zest. Because tangerines and lemons are different sizes it is important to measure in parts like 1 tbsp lemon juice and 1 tbsp tangerine juice because with the different size fruits the juice of one lemon may be more than the juice of 1 tangerine.
Meyer Lemon Margarita Recipe
Meyer Lemon Margarita - A Twist on a Simple Margarita Recipe
- 4 Meyer Lemons juiced; two of them zested
- 2 tbsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 4 oz Agave or Reposado Tequila
- 4 oz Triple Sec (Cointreau)
- 1 cup ice
- Zest two of the lemons to make about 1 tbsp lemon zest
- In a small bowl add sea salt, sugar and lemon zest and mix. Place on a shallow plate. Wet the rim of each margarita glass and rim glasses by placing glass upside down into sugar/salt mixture.
- Juice all 4 of the Meyer Lemons over a seive to ensure no seeds get into liquid.
- In a large cocktail shaker add 1 cup of ice cubes, 4 oz Meyer Lemon Juice, 4 oz of Cointreau and 4 oz of Tequila. Cover and shake well with ice to cool. Gently pour into margarita glasses keeping ice out. Serve with a garnish of lemon and cilantro if desired.
If you like this recipe you may also like…