Get ready to savour every bite! These succulent Crispy Oven-Baked Chicken Thighs are perfectly crispy on the outside, juicy on the inside and super easy to make. Add spices to a resealable plastic bag or container then shake and bake! Serve these crispy thighs with rice, fries or salad.
Ever wondered how to make crispy chicken thighs in the oven? Well, look no further because these are the best baked chicken thighs that you will taste! This crispy baked chicken thigh recipe has become a family favourite and is so easy to make.
Oh, and did I mention that these chicken thighs can be made in an air fryer too?
All you have to do is follow the same recipe steps and add the thighs to an air fryer instead of an oven.
You may need to cook the thighs in two batches though as all eight chicken thighs probably won’t fit in the air fryer at the same time.
On this occasion, I decided to serve this chicken thigh dinner with rice, a few lemon wedges and it went down like a storm! You can also serve these tasty chicken pieces with turnip fries and more.
Why I Love This Recipe
- These skin-on chicken thighs are the perfect quick and easy side dish to add to your weeknight dinner rotation. All you need to do is add the spice mixture and thighs to a container or resealable plastic bag then shake ‘n’ bake – that’s it!
- Nothing beats biting into crispy baked chicken thighs. The combination of the crispy chicken skin and the tender, juicy flesh is always so satisfying. This dish is a crowd-pleaser that is sure to have everyone lining up for seconds.
- These keto chicken thighs are packed with protein and can be paired with cauliflower or cucumber salad for a low-carb option.
Ingredients And Subsituions
- Chicken Thighs: Use fresh chicken thighs for this recipe and leave the skin on. If you are using frozen chicken then allow them to thaw for at least 1 to 2 hours before preparing the thighs.
- Baking powder: Adding baking powder to the spice mix will help to make the chicken thighs crispy and brown.
- Spice mixture: This spice mixture also includes salt, garlic powder, paprika and black pepper. These ingredients will enhance the flavor of the chicken thighs and make them even more delicious.
How to Make Crispy Oven-Baked Chicken Thighs
Preheat the oven to 425° F using the convection setting for at least ten minutes before baking the chicken thighs.
Start by using scissors or a knife to remove excess fat from the chicken thighs. You will also need to pat each chicken thigh dry using a paper towel. Don’t skip this step as patting the chicken thighs dry will ensure that the thighs are perfectly crispy!
Next, you will need to add baking powder, salt, garlic powder, paprika and black pepper to a large resealable plastic bag or container.
Give the spice mixture a good shake and make sure the ingredients are mixed well. Add one chicken thigh at a time to the resealable bag or container, seal tightly and shake until the chicken is fully coated in the spice mixture.
Line a baking sheet with foil and place an oven-safe rack on top of it. Then place the chicken thighs on the rack. Make sure there is some space between each chicken thigh to allow air circulation.
Bake chicken thighs for about 35-40 minutes or until the skin is crispy and
the chicken juices run clear. Alternatively, you can use a thermometer to check the internal temperature of the chicken.
Once the thermometer reaches 165° F the chicken thighs are ready.
Serve crispy chicken thighs immediately with your favourite side!
What temperature should chicken thighs be cooked at?
Chicken thighs should be cooked at 425ºF using the convection setting for 30-45 minutes or until golden brown.
To ensure that the chicken thighs are done use a thermometer to check the internal temperature of the chicken thighs. The internal temperature should be at least 165F. If you don’t have a thermometer then slice into a chicken thigh and if the juices run clear then they are ready.
Does baking powder make chicken crispy?
Yes, adding baking powder to chicken helps to make them crispy.
Baking powder breaks down the peptide bonds in the chicken thighs and increases the PH level. This causes the chicken skin to dry out quickly and results in delicious crispy and crunchy thighs.
How to Store chicken thighs?
It is really easy to store these chicken thighs. Store them in an airtight container for 3-4 days but, be aware that they may lose their crispiness due to the moisture in the fridge.
Luckily you can crisp them up again by placing them back in the oven or air fryer for about ten minutes or until crispy.
Crispy Oven-Baked Chicken Thighs
- Resealable plastic bag or container
- 8 Chicken Thighs Skin-on
- 1 1/2 tbsp baking powder
- 2 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 3 tsp paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 F using the convection setting.
- Trim off excess fat from chicken thighs and pat dry using paper towels.
- Add baking powder, salt, garlic powder, paprika and black pepper to a large resealable plastic bag or container and shake to mix.
- Next, add the chicken thighs one at a time to the bag or container and seal tightly. Shake well and coat the chicken thighs in the spice mixture.
- Place an oven-safe rack on top of a foil-lined baking sheet then place the chicken thighs on the rack leaving space around for air circulation.
- Bake chicken thighs for about 35-40 minutes. Use a meat thermometer to check whether the chicken thighs are done. The internal temperature should be 165 F or the chicken juices should run clear and be crispy on the outside.
- Serve immediately.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.