A classic side dish, this Italian Potato Salad Recipe requires just a handful of ingredients and 20 minutes of your time! Even better, the entire recipe can be prepared in the microwave!
Italian green bean salad is an example of simple ingredients coming together to create a mouth-watering dish. This versatile dish can be served as a side dish to any meal or at a potluck. It’s especially perfect in the late months of summer when you can use potatoes and green beans straight from the garden!
This dish features string beans with potatoes, oil and vinegar, fresh herbs and salt and pepper. That’s it. No need for any fancy ingredients – as long as you have green beans and potatoes, you can make this salad.
The simplicity of green bean and potato salad is one of the reasons I love it so much, paired with the fact that it’s actually prepared in the microwave. No stovetop required, which is great if you are preparing other dishes at the same time or are just feeling lazy.
I personally love the mint in this recipe. My mother-in-law uses mint often in recipes and while it may seem strange to use mint with potatoes I can assure you the flavour is incredible and is really what makes this salad special.
If you’ve never tried Italian Green Bean and Potato Salad, I think you will be pleasantly surprised by this recipe!
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Green beans – Trim the ends off before adding to the recipe. Fresh green beans are recommended.
- Olive oil – Any high quality olive oil will work.
- White wine vinegar – Provides a slight tang to the dish. White, cider or red wine vinegar are excellent substitutes.
- Fresh parsley & mint – Chopped herbs provide the main flavor to this green beans with potatoes dish.
- Salt and pepper
How to Make Italian Green Beans and Potatoes
Quarter the potatoes into bite-sized pieces. Place them in a large microwave-safe bowl with a lid. Add 1/3 cup water and steam in the microwave for 5 minutes.
Add the trimmed green beans to the bowl with the potatoes. Steam for another 10-15 minutes or so, until the potatoes and beans are fork-tender.
Remove the bowl from the microwave and drain any excess water. Add the olive oil, white wine vinegar, fresh parsley and mint, and salt and pepper. Mix well.
Serve warm or place in the fridge to serve cold later.
What kind of potatoes are best For This Recipe?
The truth is, you can use any type of white or yellow potatoes to make this green bean potato salad. If you’re whipping this up in a pinch, whatever you have on hand will work.
Personally, when I make these potatoes and green beans, I like to use smaller new potatoes.
Can I use frozen green beans?
In a pinch, yes, you can use frozen green beans in this green bean and potato salad. However, I highly recommend using fresh green beans as the flavour and texture will be much better – especially if serving this to guests!
Should The potatoes be peeled?
If you are using new or baby potatoes I don’t recommend peeling them. You certainly can, but the peel adds colour, texture and a good dose of healthy minerals.
Older potatoes or potatoes with thicker skin though should be peeled.
Should Italian Potato salad be Served hot or cold?
One of the things that makes this easy salad so versatile is that you can enjoy it hot or cold! It’s completely up to your personal preference and I enjoy it both ways.
I like to eat this recipe warm and then have any leftovers the next day cold. It is almost like having an entirely new side dish experience!
More Green Bean and Potato Recipes:
- Butter Smothered Green Beans and Cashews
- Garden Herb White and Green Bean Salad
- Loaded Potato Salad
- Easy German Potato Salad
Italian Potato Salad with Green Beans
- 50 oz baby or small potatoes washed and cubed
- 15 oz green beans washed and trimmed
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley finely chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh mint finely chopped
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Quarter new potatoes into bite sized pieces, place in a large microwave safe bowl with lid and add a 1/3 cup water. Steam the potatoes for 5 minutes.
- Trim the green beans then add them to the bowl with the potatoes. Continue to steam with the lid on for another 10 minutes or until potatoes and beans are fork tender.
- Remove from the microwave and drain excess water. Add the olive oil, white wine vinegar, chopped fresh parsley and mint, salt and pepper and mix well. Serve warm or cold.