Tabouli Salad sometimes knows as Tabbouleh is a fresh Mediterranean salad made with diced fresh parsley, tomatoes, onion and bulgar and dressed with a tangy lemon dressing. Hemp hearts have been used in this recipe to make it lower carb with added protein.
Things are cooling off around here with winter right around the corner so it has been time to harvest anything left in our gardens. I used up all of my parsley this year but a neighbour texted me to share some of hers. I was thrilled!
This was the first year I attempted a herb garden so I used all of my parsley up fast before it had a chance to regrow and sort of killed it. So when my neighbour said she had so much she needed to give some away I was wall over that invitation and had this tabouli salad recipe in my sights!
Where does tabouli (Tabbouleh salad) come from?
This salad is said to originate in Lebanon but it can be readily found in Syrian and in Arab regions as well. A recipe for tabouli salad consists of fresh parsley, onion, tomatoes, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic and bulgar or semolina on occasion. Tabouli is found at almost every meal in Lebanese households and has quickly become a favourite to many all over the world.
Ingredients & Substitutions
- Parsley – one large bunch or two small bunches of fresh flat or curly parsley will do. Remove the stems before chopping.
- Tomato – One large tomato diced finely with the seeds removed.
- Onion – A large white or Spanish onion finely chopped.
- Hemp hearts – Adds a little protein and is lower carb than the traditional bulgar used. You can substitute the hemp hearts with bulgar, semolina or quinoa.
- Olive oil – Used for the salad dressing. You can also use avocado oil if you prefer.
- Garlic – Fresh minced garlic from one large clove.
- Garlic powder – Adds even more garlicky kick to flavour this recipe. The parsley has a stronger taste than lettuce so this amount of garlic will not overpower the dish but feel free to adjust according to taste.
- Lemon juice – The juice from one large fresh lemon (seeds removed) or 2 tbsp of lemon juice roughly.
- Salt and pepper
how to make this tabouli salad recipe
- Add the chopped parsley, onions, tomatoes and hemp hearts to a large bowl.
- In a small bowl add the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, garlic powder and salt and pepper to taste. Mix well until garlic powder is mixed in and dressing is well combined.
- Pour the dressing over the chopped veggies. Toss and serve!
What to serve with Tabbouleh Salad
- Grilled Kofta Kebabs
- Lemon Parmesan Chicken Burger
- Calamari Fritti
- Flaky Oven Baked Salmon
- Lebanese Red Lentil Soup
- Lemon Basil Freezer Meal Pork Chops
How long can you keep tabouli in the fridge?
This salad can be kept in the fridge covered for up to 4 days. Do not freeze this tabouli salad recipe or the parsley will disintegrate and the tomatoes will become a soggy mess.
Is tabouli salad healthy?
Absolutely! Tonnes of veggies, healthy fats and a little protein. This salad is about as good as it gets. Plus parsley is amazing for you. Check out this article to find out more about the health benefits of parsley.
Hemp Tabouli Salad
- Chopping Knife
- Large Bowl
- Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoons
- Salad Tongs or Large Spoon
- 1 lg. bunch parsley finely chopped
- 1 large white onion finely chopped
- 1 large tomato finely chopped
- 6 tbsp hemp herts
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice or juice from one large lemon
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper or to taste
- Add the chopped parsley, onions, tomato and hemp hearts to a large bowl.
- In a small bowl add the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Pour the dressing over the chopped vegetables. Toss and serve!