A Shaved Brussel Sprout Salad made with apples, cranberries, walnuts and an orange vinaigrette. A delicious and hearty fall salad that pairs great with turkey, chicken, pork or fish.
If you haven’t tried brussel sprouts in a salad before you have been missing out! Shaved raw brussel sprouts are a wonderful salad base full of fibre and crunch. I know what you are thinking. Raw brussel sprouts… hard pass!
But hear me out. When brussel sprouts sliced finely they take on a coleslaw like texture. They are little cabbages really if you think about it.
Add some apples and cranberries for a hint of sweetness and toss it in a tangy orange dressing. Then top it all of with some walnuts for even more texture and flavour.
How To Shred brussel sprouts
There are a few different ways to shred the sprouts to make a brussel sprouts salad that is similar in texture to a coleslaw. Before starting to slice be sure to wash and clean the brussel sprouts, cutting off the ends and removing any blemished leaves or leaves that look sort of dead and yellow.
- Finely Slice by hand. Using a sharp knife slice the sprouts individually at about a 1/4″ thickness per slice. Be very careful. This method takes the longest amount of time.
- Slice using a mandolin. Secure a few sprouts to the guard handle using the pegs that hold the food in place. I like to put them on the peg lengthwise because it creates a more even and stable base from which to slice. If you do not have a mandolin that has a guard I would opt out of this method of slicing. Brussel sprouts are very small without this protection your fingers will get very close to the blade and you will end up throwing out most of the sprout. Click here for a pic of a mandolin similar to what I have at home.
- Shred using a food processor. The easiest and safest way to shred the sprouts for this brussel sprouts salad is to use the shredding blade on a food processor. Simply pop the sprouts in the food processor and you have your salad shredded in minutes!
This salad is simple to make from here. All you need for the salad is 1 chopped sweeter apple like a Royal Gala, Fuji or Honey Crisp. The sweetness of these apples goes great with the cranberries and citrus vinaigrette. 1 cup of roughly chopped walnuts and 1 cup of unsweetened dried cranberries.
For the Orange Vinaigrette mix together 1/2 a cup of fresh orange juice, 1 tbsp of olive oil, 1 1/2 tbsp of apple cider vinegar and sea salt to taste. I use about 1/2 a tsp.
what I love about this cranberry & apple brussel sprout salad
- This brussel sprout salad keeps well in the fridge for several days
- Over time this salad gets more and more flavourful as the vinaigrette marries with the sprouts and apples
- Easy to make
- Goes well with chicken, turkey, pork and fish
Some of my favourite recipes to pair this recipe with are:
brussel sprout salad variations
- Replace apples with pears
- Swap out the cranberries and try adding chopped dried apricots
- Add some shredded old white cheddar cheese or goat cheese for some added pep!
Cranberry & Apple Brussel Sprout Salad
- Food Processor or Mandolin
- Sharp Knife
- Large Bowl
- Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoons
- Salad Tongs or Large Spoon
- 4 cups brussel sprouts washed and trimmed
- 1 large apple chopped into 1" cubes
- 2/3 cup walnuts roughly chopped
- 1 cup unsweetened dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp honey or for a vegan option maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- In a large bowl add sliced brussel sprouts, chopped apples and walnut and cranberries.
- In a small bowl mix together the orange juice, olive oil, apple cider vinegar, honey or maple syrup and salt for the Orange Vinaigrette
- Pour the Orange Vinaigrette over the brussel sprouts mixture and toss. Serve immediately or cover and store in the fridge for up to 5 days.
For the step-by-step version of this recipe, check out the How to Make Cranberry & Apple Brussel Sprout Salad Story.