Air-Fryer Salmon Croquettes
Air-Fryer Salmon Croquettes using canned or leftover salmon and made into delicious crispy salmon patties filled with fresh veggies, dill and lemon. Croquettes are often seen in Spain as an appetizer or as part of a tapas-style dinner making this recipe and an excellent choice for a lunch or light weeknight meal!
What is a croquette?
The origin of the Croquette was France with these tubular or patty morsels being made with bechamel sauce as the binding agent to hold all the pieces together. Because of how easy and delicious croquettes are it was hard to keep it a secret and chefs from around the started to make their own versions.
In Spain, croquettes have become very popular as tapas which are appetizer-sized plates served at dinner or lunch. People order various tapas to share and form a meal out of appetizers essentially.
Croquettes can be found all around the world in many forms but a true croquette is comprised of meat and fillings that use either mashed potatoes or bechamel sauce to hold the patties together. They are then coated in bread crumbs and fried or baked.
They are often referred to as salmon patties or cakes as well.
I chose to air-fry these salmon patties to reduce the amount of fat from frying but still get that crunch for a crispy coating.
Ingredients you will need:
what type of salmon is best?
Any salmon will work for this but to make this recipe quicker I use canned salmon. But if you have it, by all means, use fresh cooked salmon.
Just make sure the skin and all the bones are removed whichever salmon you use.
how to make salmon croquettes:
- Use a fork to gently help turn over the salmon patties in the egg wash and panko crumbs. This will keep them from breaking up in your fingers. They are quite fragile until cooked.
- Also… if you have leftover mashed potatoes this is a great way to use some of them up!
what if you don’t have an air fryer?
These salmon cakes can be made either in a frying pan or baked. To fry add a 3 tbsp cooking oil like vegetable or canola oil to a large pan. Once the oil is heated pan-fry for 3-4 minutes per side until brown.
To bake line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spray both sides of the croquettes with cooking spray and bake at 425 F for 20- 25 minutes flipping halfway through.
What to serve with salmon cakes?
What to do with leftovers?
Store in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 5 days. You can eat this recipe cold, or microwave them to warm up if you are in a hurry.
I however prefer to get them crispy again.
To do this simply reheat in the oven at 300°F for 20 minutes or place back in the air-fryer for 5 minutes at 375°F until heated through to the centre.
Air-Fryer Salmon Croquettes
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Medium bowl
- Small Bowl
- Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoons
- 2 1/2 cups cooked salmon canned or fresh cooked
- 1 large potato mashed
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 3 eggs divided
- 1/2 cup peas fresh or frozen
- 2 green onions finely chopped, greens only
- 1/4 cup red pepper finely chopped
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley finely chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh dill finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp grainy dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups panko bread crumbs
- Peel, boil and mash one large potato. Set aside to cool completely
- In a large bowl add the salmon, mashed potato, peas, green onions, mayo, red pepper, lemon juice, lemon zest, mustard, parsley, dill, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Add 2-3 eggs to a small bowl and whisk. Add the panko breadcrumbs to a medium bowl. Using a 1/2 cup of the salmon mixture form into patties about 1 inch thick. Gently place the patties into the egg flipping over with a fork to coat both sides. Then remove and gently place into the panko breadcrumbs to completely coat.
- Place the breaded salmon patties in a wire air-fryer basket and air-fry at 425 F for 20 minutes. Turning halfway through. Remove and serve immediately.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Pin it for later!
For the step-by-step version of this recipe, check out the How to Make Air Fryer Salmon Croquettes Story.
May want to update the recipe. No where does it say Panko breadcrumbs until you get to the directions.
Hi Ell, I just reviewed the post while it is listed on the ingredient photo and step by step directions, I did miss it in the actual recipe card. Thank you so much for pointing this out. I have updated the recipe accordingly.
Yum!! I haven’t had croquettes in so long and these totally hit the spot! So easy to make, too. Thanks!
These croquettes look tasty and so good. What an innovative way to use left over salmon. I don’t have an air fryer so I’ll probably bake them instead. I’m going to try this recipe soon.
These were amazing – I made them last night and my hubby and I adored them! Will be making again!! Thank you!
Something new to try for me on air fryer. How delicious
Such a lovely snack Item. love that it is fish and so easy and yet so yummy and flavorful to eat.