Roasted Kale combined with Napa Cabbage is a favourite go to side of mine these days not only because it is great for my waistline but because it is simple and pretty to look at.
What I love the most about Roasted Kale are those crunchy pieces that when browned give off a great smoky and buttery flavour along with the a great crispy texture.
If you follow my tips for making this roasted kale dish I promise even if you haven’t been a kale fan before you will be soon.
I have to admit I am not a fan of kale in all forms. I most certainly do not like Kale chips with all those seasonings. For me all those seasonings seem a bit of overkill. Kale in my opinion is better when it is lightly seasoned and baked – keeping it simple.
The first time I was introduced to this combination of kale and napa cabbage together was at my Cousin’s who invited us over for dinner. I was in love at first bite. Light, healthy, and a crispy smokiness. Yum! She served this dish alongside roasted salmon and it was the perfect combination. Chicken and other fish varieties also work really well with this side dish.
MY ROASTED KALE SALAD TIPS
- Use the freshest kale and napa cabbage you can find. When kale sits in the fridge even within a day it tends to get limp. It is still fine to eat but makes it tougher to get the crunchy bits during the roasting process
- Line the baking sheet with foil. Not only is it easier to clean up later but I find the foil help the greens crisp up a bit faster
- Since everyone’s oven is different for a little extra crunch on the kale turn on the broiler for the last minute or two of cooking to brown up the end of the kale a bit more… who doesn’t love more crunchy bits
- If you can’t find napa cabbage, savoy cabbage will also do
This recipe combines the mild flavour of napa cabbage with the smokey buttery crunchy flavour and texture of roasted kale. It is a great side dish to compliment lighter proteins like fish and chicken. Plus this dish is packed with vitamins K, A and C along with a does of minerals such as manganese, iron and calcium and a bunch of antioxidants to boot!
If you like this recipe please give it a 5 star rating.
This roasted kale and napa cabbage recipe is healthy and light side dish to chicken or fish. The mild peppery flavour of the napa cabbage is a great compliment to the smokey and buttery flavour from the roasted kale and oh those crunchy kale bits..... yum!
- 1 bunch of kale chopped. Do not include stems.
- 1/2 large head of napa cabbage chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
Chop kale and napa cabbage
In a large bowl combine kale and cabbage along with oil, salt and garlic
Toss until well mixed
Line baking sheet with foil
Spread kale and cabbage mixture over lined baking sheet
Roast for 20 minutes.
If you prefer more crunchy kale bits turn the oven on to broil for the last minute or two but watch carefully so as not to burn.
For those following the 21 Day Fix or 80 Day Obsession Programs the container count is:
1 ? and 1 1/2 ?
If you like this Roasted Kale Recipe you may also like…