You know what I love most about Halloween? It isn’t the candy.
It isn’t the cute little ones dressed up like super heros and princesses.
Nope. Roasted pumpkin seeds are my jam and this Roasted Pumpkin Seeds Recipe with it’s salty smoky flavour is as addictive as all the sugar in your kids candy bag!You can make pumpkin sees a million different ways – salty, sweet, spicy, plain, dill pickle flavoured… you get the picture. But I prefer recipes using simple everyday spices.
Pumpkin seeds are full of fibre and good fats but I like mine to be salty like an alternative to roasted nuts or popcorn. I actually only make them this time of year because pumpkins are impossible to find after Halloween but I have been told you can also roast squash seeds and they will taste pretty much the same.
Since I have squash on my most disliked foods list I am limited to pumpkin season only to enjoy this roasted pumpkin seeds recipe. If you are a squash lover please give this recipe a try and let me know if it works out just the same.
The hardest part of making this recipe is separating the raw pumpkin seeds from the pumpkin insides. Not really a hard task as much as it is gross and tedious. A small price to pay for the silver lining of having a bowl full of crunchy roasted pumpkin seeds to munch on later.
Once separated rinse vigorously in a colander to clean the seeds and remove any of the extra pulp still attached. Then I like to dry my seeds overnight on a clean dish towel. I find this helps to give them some extra crunch when I roast them the next day.
This roasted pumpkin seeds recipe is a little salty so I wouldn’t go as far as to call this a supremely healthy recipe but pumpkin seeds in general offer a boat load of nutritional benefits.
BENEFITS OF EATING PUMPKIN SEEDS
- Pumpkin seeds are a good source of healthy fats and protein which aid in weight loss by helping to keep you feeling full for longer
- They are a good source of calcium and magnesium which is essential to bone formation and density which helps to ward of osteoporosis in women often associated with menopause
- The fibre in the pumpkin seed shells is said to help lower cholesterol and decrease the risk of heart disease
- Pumpkin seed shells are high in zinc which metabolizes nutrients, maintains your immune system and grows and repairs body tissues
So there you have it… that pumpkin you just spent an hour carving has a nutritious crunchy treat waiting within! All you need to do is spend another bit separately those darns seeds from the pile of pumpkin insides. But it is so worth it!
PERFECTLY ROASTED PUMPKIN SEEDS RECIPE
Salty, smoky, crunchy perfectly roasted for you to munch on as a reward for your pumpkin carving efforts! For those wine lovers out there this recipe pairs amazingly well with a smoky Chardonnay like Toasted Head out of California or the Canadian Oaked Chardonnay from Feathersone Estate Winery out of Niagara Region.
Perfectly Roasted Pumpkin Seeds Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups raw pumpkin seeds shells on
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp seasoned salt
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tbsp smoked paprika
- 3/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- Preheat oven to 375 F
- Place cleaned and washed, and air-dried pumpkin seeds to a medium bowl. (see notes below)
- Add olive oil and spices and mix well until evenly coating all of the pumpkin seeds
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper and spread pumpkin seed mixture evenly over top.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until pumpkin seeds are crunchy.
IF YOU LIKE THIS ROASTED PUMPKIN SEEDS RECIPE YOU MAY ALSO LIKE…