This savory Air Fryer Pumpkin Seeds Recipe with it’s salty smoky flavor is as addictive as all the sugar in your kid’s candy bag! A crunchy treat to look forward to every fall!
Save This Recipe!
Enter your email below and get it sent straight to your inbox. Plus, you get more tasty recipes every week!
Pumpkin seeds are full of fibre and good fats but I like mine to be salty like an alternative to roasted nuts or popcorn. I actually only make them this time of year because pumpkins are impossible to find after Halloween but I have made these with squash seeds and they taste pretty much the same.
The hardest part of making this recipe is separating the raw pumpkin seeds from the pumpkin insides. Not really a hard task as much as it is gross and tedious. A small price to pay for the silver lining of having a bowl full of crunchy roasted pumpkin seeds to munch on later.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Raw pumpkin seeds – rinsed and dried
- Olive oil – A little healthy fats to give them a crunchy roasted texture and it also helps the seasoning stick to the seeds.
- Salt and pepper
- Smoked paprika – adds a smoky flavor and gives the seeds a nice color.
- Garlic powder – because garlic is awesome
- Dried thyme – an earthy and aromatic herb that gives a little texture and great flavor to the seasoning.
Step by Step Instructions
- Remove the seeds from the pumpkin separating the pulp from the seeds. Give them a rinse under water in a sieve to remove all of the pumpkin goo so you have clean pumpkin seeds. Drain the seeds well and then spread them out evenly on a paper towel lined baking sheet. Let them dry overnight flipping them over once to make sure both sides dry out.
- When the seeds are dry preheat your oven to 375°F.
- Add the dried pumpkin seeds to a medium bowl and add the olive oil and seasonings. Mix to coat the seeds evenly.
- Spread the pumpkin seeds out evenly in an air fryer basket and air fry for 10-13 minutes shaking the basket halfway through to mix the seeds up a bit for more even roasting.
- Remove the pumpkin seeds in the air fryer and let cool before eating.
Once the pumpkin seeds are completely cooled store them in an airtight container for up to a week at room temperature.
I don’t recommend putting them in the fridge or freezing them because the moisture from the cool temperatures will soften the shells and take away the crunch.
Benefits of Eating Pumpkin Seeds
- Pumpkin seeds are a good source of healthy fats and protein which aid in weight loss by helping to keep you feeling full for longer
- They are a good source of calcium and magnesium which is essential to bone formation and density and helps to ward off osteoporosis in women often associated with menopause
- The fiber in the pumpkin seed shells is said to help lower cholesterol and decrease the risk of heart disease
- Pumpkin seed shells are high in zinc which metabolizes nutrients, maintains your immune system, and grows and repairs body tissues
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes. You don’t have to wait until pumpkin season. Make these air fryer pumpkin seeds all year long using spaghetti squash or butternut squash. The seeds may be a little smaller so adjust the cooking time accordingly.
You bet! The shells add a fantastic crunchy texture and offer extra fiber.
Not sure what to do with the insides of the pumpkin. Puree it! Once the seeds have been removed you can put the pumpkin pulp in a blender and puree. Use in soups, in breads (provide great added moisture), or muffins.
This is really up to the individual. I personally don’t but some people may find pumpkin seeds more difficult to digest than others.
Pumpkin seeds are covered in a thin membrane and some people find the enzymes on this membrane cause digestion to be more difficult. If this is the case, you are best to soak the cleaned pumpkin seeds for 12 hours in salted water which helps break down the membrane. One cup of seeds should soak in 2 cups of water + 2 tsp salt.
Savory Air Fryer Pumpkin Seeds
- 1 ½ cups raw pumpkin seeds shells on
- 1 ½ tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp seasoned salt
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tbsp smoked paprika
- ¾ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- Preheat an air fryer to 375°F.
- Place cleaned and washed, and air-dried pumpkin seeds to a medium bowl. (see notes below).
- Add olive oil and spices and mix well until evenly coating all of the pumpkin seeds
- Spread the pumpkin seed mixture evenly in an air fryer basket.
- Bake for 10-13 minutes or until pumpkin seeds are crunchy and no longer soft. Remove from the air fryer and let cool before enjoying.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.