I have been making this whole wheat banana bread for years and it is almost always gobbled up by my kids as soon as it cools down so they can eat it! It is great for breakfast or a snack and super quick to make!
In fact this recipe is so quickly gobbled up in my house I usually make two loaves and freeze one so I have it handy when I am in a pinch.
You know those weeks where time flies by and you don’t have time to make some healthy snacks or get to the grocery store?
You wake up in the morning to make the kids lunches and suddenly realize Oh Oh you have nothing for their lunches.
Perfect for those kind of mornings!
This Whole Wheat Banana Bread recipe is very low fat .
Instead of adding a tonne of oil like is usually found in breads and cakes I have used applesauce! Yes applesauce is a fantastic substitute for fat and adds great moisture to almost any baked good with fewer calories.
I did have to add a little sweetness though because as most moms know kids like everything better when you add chocolate chips. Plus bananas and chocolate are a match made in heaven!
If you want some extra crunch you could also ad a 1/4 cup of chopped walnuts easily to this recipe. For myself, I am not a fan of nuts in breads so I leave them out.
One little trick I like to use is before freezing the bananas take them out of the peel and freeze. This way the bananas won’t turn all brown and ugly in the freezer. They will be ready to use and easily thawed inside the bag.
Some people, especially those who want to lose weight often wonder if eating bananas is a good choice.
Yes they are higher in carbohydrates but if you need some evidence for why you should include bananas in your diet check out some of these points.
Benefits of Eating Bananas:
- Bananas are full of fibre. Soluble and Insoluble. The soluble fibre slows down digestion so you feel full longer. A great choice for a busy morning.
- High fibre foods are said to reduce heart disease
- It is loaded with essential vitamins and such as potassium, calcium, manganese, magnesium, iron, folate, niacin, riboflavin, and B6.
- Considered a super fruit for it’s high level of potassium which helps to regulate, blood pressure, and keeps the brain alert.
- They have a high iron content which makes it a great addition to any person’s diet who suffers from anemia
I tend not to talk the word healthy around my kids much. Doing so pretty much ends in their outright refusal to try.
But because this Whole Wheat Banana Bread is brown they never suspect I have used the Whole Wheat flour I have tucked away in the back of the cupboard out of their sight.
So give it a try and send them to school with a healthier version of this timeless favourite.
A delicious whole wheat banana bread recipe which is very low fat even though it is loaded with chocolate chips. So good you will need to make two loaves!
- 3 Bananas Ripe
- 2 eggs Well Beaten
- 2 cups Whole Wheat Flour
- 3/4 cups Cane Sugar or Sucanat
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 8 oz unsweetened apple sauce Or 2 kids unsweetened apples sauce cups
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Grease loaf pan with coconut oil.
Mash bananas and eggs together.
Add dry ingredients, apple sauce and water as needed to moisten batter.
Add chips and stir.
Pour into loaf pan and bake for about 1 hour.
IF YOU LIKE THIS WHOLE WHEAT BANANA BREAD RECIPE YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE…