These Banana Pancake Bites with Honey Butter are a simple, easy breakfast. Serve with homemade orange zest honey butter for a decadent twist on your morning pancakes.
This post is sponsored by BeeMaid Honey. I have been compensated to sponsor this recipe but -as always- all opinions are my own.
Banana Pancake Bites have all of the things you love about banana pancakes, without needing to stand over the stove as you cook and flip each one individually. These mini pancakes bake quickly in a mini muffin tray while you get ready for your day.
Instead of serving them with a sugary sweet syrup, I recommend enjoying this banana pancake recipe with some homemade honey butter. It complements the honey in the pancakes and adds a light sweetness without being too sugary.
The honey butter recipe I use is made with orange zest, which adds a bit of citrus to lighten up the flavour profile. Pair it with the honey and banana mini pancakes and you have a scrumptious breakfast.
I highly recommend eating at least a few of these mini pancakes when they’re still warm from the oven and letting the citrus honey butter melt over them. So good that you may not end up with leftovers!
Warning: you’ll probably want to add the honey butter to everything else you eat in the morning too!
When you make these, I recommend planning to freeze the leftovers for a quick breakfast on the go.
What is Clover Honey?
For these Banana Pancake Bites, I used honey BeeMaid Premium Clover Honey.
If you’re wondering what clover honey is and why it’s different from regular honey (I did), the main difference is that the honey is harvested from the nectar of clovers.
In this case of this BeeMaid Premium Clover Honey, it’s made from the nectar of white and pink clovers from Western Canada.
Other honeys are made with a variety of nectars, including buckwheat, canola and wildflower.
The differences in taste are subtle, but I prefer clover honey for baking as it has a sweet, mild and more flowery taste.
In this recipe I use BeeMaid Premium Clover Honey for the mini banana pancakes and BeeMaid Premium Honey for the citrus honey butter.
The clover honey just adds a bit more sweetness with a lighter flavour to compliment the banana while I wanted a stronger honey flavour paired with the orange in the butter.
When baking with honey, always double-check to ensure you’re baking with pure Canadian honey. That’s one reason I prefer BeeMaid products, as I know their products are 100% pure honey from Canada.
- All-purpose flour – The base of almost all baked goods.
- Whole wheat pastry flour -Pastry flour has a lower protein content than regular whole wheat flour, which allows for softer baked goods, including pie crusts and muffins. If you can’t find whole wheat pastry flour regular whole wheat flour will work well too.
- Salt – Just a pinch for flavour.
- Baking Powder – Helps ensure the batter rises properly in the oven.
- BeeMaid Premium Clover Honey – I used clover honey for the light, flowery flavour that compliments but does not overwhelm the banana flavour.
- Buttermilk -Buttermilk actually helps to create soft baked goods by tenderizing the gluten in the flour and adds a little extra flavour.
- Banana – What is a banana pancake without bananas? A great opportunity to use up those ripe bananas on the counter.
- Egg – To hold everything together and a bit of protein too!
- Butter – You’ll need melted for the pancakes and softened butter to create the honey butter.
- Vanilla – A little sweetness to taste in the muffins!
- Orange zest – The delicious citrus twist to the honey butter!
- BeeMaid White Honey – 100% pure honey for the honey butter.
How to Make Mini Banana pANCAKES
Begin by preheating your oven to 425F.
In a large bowl, combine the flour, salt and baking powder.
Add in the BeeMaid Premium Clover Honey, buttermilk, mashed banana, egg, melted butter and vanilla extract. Mix until just combined.
Spray a mini muffin pan with cooking spray and pour the batter into the pan. One heaping tablespoon filling each spot on the muffin tin about halfway.
Bake for 8-10 minutes until the pancake bites are puffed and slightly golden.
Remove from the oven and allow them to cool slightly before removing from the pan. The best way to get them out of the pan is to turn the muffin pan over and tap gently on the bottom. The pancake bites should pop right out.
If necessary, repeat steps 4 and 5 to create all 30 bites.
Enjoy warm with honey butter or allow to cool completely before freezing.
How To Make Honey Butter
To make the honey butter to accompany these mini pancakes, combine softened unsalted butter, orange zest and honey. You can do this by hand or with a paddle attachment on a stand mixer on medium speed.
Mix until creamy and well combined.
Transfer to a serving dish.
The honey butter can be made ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator. Allow to soften slightly at room temperature before serving.
Storing Baby Banana pANCAKES
These bites freeze well and can be made ahead or stored as leftovers in the freezer. You can also store them in an airtight container for up to 3 days to enjoy a quick breakfast on the go.
I like to heat them up in the morning for about 30 seconds and then add the honey butter over top which melts all over them. No need for syrup!
Honey is such a versatile sweetener I like to use it in many recipes to replace traditional sweeteners.
Check Out These Other Recipes Made with BeeMaid Honey:
- Honey Cinnamon French Toast
- Air-Fryer Asian BBQ Cauliflower Wings
- Honey Brushed Pear & Boursin Crostini
- Honey Sriracha Slow Cooker Meatballs
- Honeyed Pecans and Chocolate Overnight Oats
Banana Pancake Bites with Honey Butter
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Small mixing bowl
- Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoons
- Mini muffin tray
- 1/2 cup all purpose white flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour or whole wheat flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp BeeMaid Premium Clover Honey
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 banana mashed
- 1 large egg beaten
- 1 tbsp melted butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter softened
- 2 tbsp orange zest about 1 large orange will do
- 2 tbsp BeeMaid White Honey
- Preheat oven to 425F
- In a large bowl, whisk both flours, salt and baking powder.
- Add honey, buttermilk, mashed banana, egg, melted butter and vanilla extract to the bowl and mix until just combined.
- Spray a mini muffin pan with cooking spray and pour heaping tablespoons of batter into the pan.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until puffed and slightly golden.
- Combine softened unsalted butter, orange zest and honey either by hand using a spoon or in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Turn the machine on medium speed and mix until creamy and well combined. Transfer to a serving dish.
- Remove the pancake bites from the oven and allow to cool slightly before removing them from the pan. Please note that steps 4 and 5 may need to be repeated to create all 30 bites (depending on the size of the pan).
- Serve with honey butter.