Egg Roll in a Bowl is a simple, keto Asian-inspired dinner ready in just 20 minutes! It takes all the ingredients of your favourite egg roll and turns them into a filling, low-carb lunch or dinner. Perfect for meal prep!
This Keto Egg Roll in a Bowl is the quick and healthy dinner of my dreams. It has all of the things I love about ordering Asian takeout, without leaving my house and it’s ready in less time than delivery would take.
As you probably guessed from the name, this Egg Roll in a Bowl recipe is essentially a deconstructed egg roll. The ingredients and flavours are the same, they’re just sauteed in a pan instead of wrapped in an egg roll paper.
Though I don’t follow a keto or low carb diet, I AM a fan of quick, healthy and filling meals. This one just also happens to fit within the keto guidelines, so if you are keto, this recipe is for you!
Low Carb Egg Roll in a Bowl comes together with just a handful of ingredients in 20 minutes – and I bet you have most of the ingredients on hand.
What I love is that there is so little chopping required in this recipe. By buying a package of coleslaw mix, I reduce my hands-on time to just mincing the garlic and grating the ginger. No chopping or dicing necessary. Of course, if you happened to have a head of cabbage on hand you could slice it and use that and maybe shred a few carrots for colour.
I like to enjoy this with a little extra crunch, so I only cook the coleslaw for a few minutes. I find it reheats better this way too.
Speaking of reheating, this Egg Roll in a Bowl recipe is perfect for meal prep. It makes a protein-packed snack or lunch, so it will keep you full throughout the day! One batch equals four servings. Just heat and lunch is served!
Ingredients and Substitutions
- Avocado oil – healthier than vegetable oil and a lighter flavour than olive oil with a high smoke point making it a great choice for stir-frys like this.
- Garlic – if you’re a huge garlic fan, feel free to add a little extra!
- Ginger – a staple seasoning in most Asian-inspired dishes.
- Ground beef – feel free to substitute ground chicken, pork or turkey.
- Salt – to taste.
- Black Pepper – to taste.
- Shredded Coleslaw Mix – you can also use shredded cabbage with maybe a few shredded carrots thrown in for colour.
- Coconut Aminos – a keto-friendly soy sauce replacement but with a hint of sweetness. Use soy sauce if you can’t find it but it easily found in most health food sections or stores. I actually ordered a bottle from Amazon because I was too lazy to go get it.
- Bean Sprouts – these add an extra crunch to the dish!
- Toasted Sesame Oil – a little bit goes a long way, I highly recommend NOT skipping this!
- Chopped Green Onions – flavour and colour!
How To Make Keto Egg Roll in a Bowl
Saute ginger and garlic in avocado oil over medium heat for 1 minute.
Add in the ground beef, salt and pepper. Cook the ground beef until brown, approximately 8 minutes, breaking it into small pieces with a wooden spoon. Drain any excess fat before moving on to the next step.
Reduce the heat to medium and stir in the coleslaw, bean sprouts, and coconut aminos. Cook until the cabbage begins to soften, 2-3 minutes. I prefer it with a crunch but if you would prefer it without, just cook it an additional minute or two.
Remove from heat. Finish with sesame oil and green onions before serving.
What are Coconut Aminos?
Coconut aminos are considered a substitute to soy sauce, often found in keto Asian dishes. It contains no gluten, GMOs or MSGs and is made from the fermented sap of a coconut palm tree and sea salt.
In general, coconut aminos can be used in place of soy sauce in any recipe, at a 1:1 ratio.
What is the best way to store Egg Roll in a Bowl?
You can store this low carb egg roll in a bowl recipe in the fridge for up to 3 days. It’s perfect for meal prep as you can just heat it back up in the microwave. This is one of the reasons that I prefer the coleslaw crunchy – it holds its texture and doesn’t become soggy when I reheat!
Can you make Egg Roll In a Bowl vegetarian?
Absolutely! To make a keto egg roll in a bowl, simply omit the ground beef. You can add egg for or even tofu, to keep the dish healthy and high-protein.
What other vegetables can be used in Egg Roll in a Bowl?
I like to keep things simple and stick with what I’d typically find in an egg roll but feel free to add your favorite vegetables. I’ve seen people add carrots, sliced mushrooms, peppers, or broccoli.
Keto Egg Roll in a Bowl
- Large pan
- Measuring Cups
- Measurings spoons
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 1/2 tbsp ginger grated
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 5 cups shredded coleslaw mix
- 1/3 cup coconut aminos
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 2 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 1/2 cup green onions chopped
- Heat the avocado oil, garlic and ginger to a large pan over medium-high heat and saute for 1 minute.
- Add the ground beef, salt and pepper and cook until browned breaking up the beef with a wooden spoon into small pieces. Drain excess fat from the pan once browned. About 8 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the coleslaw, bean sprouts and coconut aminos. Mix to combine. Cook until the cabbage begins to soften only slightly. 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add the sesame oil and green onions.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.