I never used to like mojitos but when I ventured out and tried a Strawberry Mojito at a restaurant in New Orleans on a girls weekend my world changed.
The only thing I was not super excited about was all the sugar in a typical mojito recipe. Yikes!! So I created a skinnier version of a Strawberry Mojito that is amazingly good without all the extra calories.
Strawberries, lime, mint and rum with a hint of added sweetness over ice with some soda water to add a little fizz. In my opinion one of the best summer cocktails on the planet!
The Perfect Skinny Strawberry Mojito
On a hot summer day, beer is my favourite especially a cold Corona with lime. However, beer makes me and almost everyone I know bloated. That is why they refer to paunch many beer drinkers carry around affectionately as a “beer belly”.
So because I am trying to of course rock my bikini at the beach or in my backyard – because shouldn’t we all try and feel fabulous every day? I have been opting for light cocktails.
Usually, cocktails get their sweetness from a tonne of sugar. And because they are so sweet and taste like candy they are extremely easy to drink quickly.
This may or may not have happened once or twice and caught me off guard…. thank goodness not when the kiddies were around. Ha!
The average cooler contains anywhere from 6 – 9 teaspoons of sugar!!! One cooler that I won’t name has a whopping 14 teaspoons of sugar…. a real rockstar of a cooler (wink wink).
Knowing this I was on a mission to make the Strawberry Mojito I fell in love with in NOLA but without all the added sugar. Not as hard as I thought. In fact, the first time I whipped this up was in the back of my SUV at the beach.
I brought my rum, mint, strawberries, lime and big ole bag of stevia as well as a few Orange Perrier I had at the trailer and whipped up two of these beauties. And muddled my mint, lime, and strawberries using the back of my potato masher.
Because desperation breeds inspiration they say!
Even given my makeshift circumstances I surprised myself and made one of the most delicious summer cocktails ever and with half the calories of a typical mojito.
This recipe can also be made as a mocktail without the rum and would be just as delicious and almost zero calories.
TIPS FOR MAKING A PERFECT MOJITO
- Use white rum. Flavoured rums will throw off the balance between the sweet and sour ratio. I like to use Bacardi White Rum.
- Minimize the mint. A little mint goes a long way and too much can overpower the rest of the flavours. Stick to 5-8 leaves
- Do not over-muddle… even if it is fun. Doing so may release too much of the oil from the lime ride and make the mojito bitter. 5-7 muddles or twists will do
- Serve in a Collins Glass if possible – they’re longer and taller to get maximum effervescence out of whatever fizzy ingredients you’re adding like Perrier, Soda Water or San Pellegrino
Strawberry Mojito Recipe – The Skinny Version
This strawberry mojito is the perfect summer drink with the sweetness from the strawberries and mint combined with the tartness of fresh lime. The best part – this strawberry mojito is made with Stevia so you don’t need to feel guilty having a little tipple. This recipe is half the calories of a traditional mojito.
If you like this recipe please give it a 5-star rating.
Strawberry Mojito - The Skinny Version
- Add ice, stevia, rum, strawberries, mint and lime to a Collins or Highball Glass
- Muddle slightly 5-7 spins or crushes will do. If you don't have a muddler the back of a baking spoon or end of a kitchen tool with a wide handle will do... be creative!
- Add Orange Perrier, stir and serve cold.
If you like this Strawberry Mojito Recipe you may also like…
Pin It For Later!