An easy recipe for sweet & spicy chicken made in less than 45 minutes from start to finish. Five minutes to prepare is all it takes and you have a simple sweet and spicy baked chicken recipe that will become quickly become a weeknight meal staple!
I used to make this recipe all the time when we first got married but put it on the back burner when the kids were little and not a fan of anything spicy. My husband and I love a little spiciness to our food so taking the chili flakes out of this recipe was not an option we would consider so I benched this recipe and to be honest forgot about it.
Now our kids are a little older and I have been going back reviewing all the recipes I benched for various reasons mostly related to recipes that were too spicy or “exotic” in kids’ terms for the time being. As soon as I saw this recipe I knew this was the first “way back playback” recipe I had to share with you guys!
Ingredients & Substitutions
- Chicken breast – boneless skinless chicken breast works best but you can also use boneless chicken thighs if you prefer.
- Pineapple jam – This adds sweetness and flavour to the marinade. I have also made this using peach and apricot jam as well and it is just as delicious. You may even want to try it with orange marmalade.
- Balsamic vinegar – This would be the sour component of the recipe adding a depth of flavour and balancing the sweetness of the jam.
- Soy sauce – If you are gluten-free or prefer you can replace this with tamari sauce.
- Chili flakes – Adds the heat. Adjust the heat level for preference by adding more or reducing the amount used.
- Sesame seeds – A little decoration and totally optional.
How to make sweet & Spicy Chicken
Start by adding the pineapple jam, balsamic vinegar, soy sauce and chili flakes to a small bowl. Mix well until the jam dissolves as much as possible into the balsamic vinegar mixture and becomes smoother.
Place the chicken breasts in a baking dish and pour the marinade over top. Spread the marinade over the chicken breasts and flip them over and back to ensure the marinade coats both sides of the chicken.
You can bake in the oven preheated for 400ºF right away for 30 minutes or you can cover and place it in the fridge to marinate overnight or for a few hours before baking. During the bake time occasionally baste the chicken with the marinade to make sure it is well coated and stays moist while baking.
Once baked to an internal temperature of 165ºF using a meat thermometer, remove from the oven and sprinkle with sesame seeds if you wish for a little more pizzaz.
What to serve with Sweet & spicy chicken
- Hemp Tabouli Salad
- Garden Herb White & Green Bean Salad
- Greek Pasta Salad
- Zesty Quinoa Salad
- Seasoned Baked Sweet Potatoes
- Drunken Grilled Pineapple Slices – for dessert!
Can this recipe be made in advance?
Yes! Mix up the marinade the night before and place the chicken in a shallow dish or resealable bag. Pour the marinade over top or into the bag over the chicken and seal tightly. Store in the fridge to marinate overnight or for a few hours and bake for 30 minutes to an internal temp of 165F.
Can I freeze this recipe?
This recipe makes an excellent freezer meal recipe! Simply add the raw chicken and marinade to an airtight container or freezer bag removing as much of the air as possible and freezing for up to 3 months. Unthaw overnight in the fridge and bake the next day!
I would not freeze the chicken once it is baked. Once baked freezing the chicken will dry it out.
Easy Sweet & Spicy Chicken
- Large baking dish
- Small Bowl
- Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoons
- Meat Thermometer
- 4 chicken breasts or 8 chicken thights boneless skinless
- 1/3 cup pineapple jam
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds optional
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Add the pineapple jam, balsamic vinegar, soy sauce and chili flakes to a small bowl and mix until the jam is dissolved and the marinade is smooth.
- Place the chicken breasts in a baking dish and pour the pineapple mixture over top. Bake for 30 minutes or until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165 F. Baste the chicken with the marinade occasionally while cooking to ensure the chicken is well glazed.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with sesame seeds (optional). Serve.
- Substitute 4 chicken breasts with 8 chicken thighs (boneless skinless)
- If gluten-free substitute the soy sauce for tamari
- Apricot or peach jam can be substitute for pineapple jam
- Prepare the marinade and pour over chicken in a baking dish or resealable bag or container. Marinade in the fridge overnight and bake as per instructions.
- To freeze as a freezer meal place the chicken and marinade in a resealable freezer bag and seal tightly removing as much air as possible and store in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight and bake as per instructions.
Pin it for Later!
For the step-by-step version of this recipe, check out the How To Make Sweet & Spicy Chicken Story.