A deliciously decadent Irish Cream Coffee Mousse that will have your taste buds doing an Irish jig! Fluffy chocolate mousse made with Baileys Irish Cream topped with fresh coffee-infused whip.
I have never been a whiskey fan but give me a little Baileys in my coffee and we will be best friends for life! If you are not familiar with Baileys Irish Cream let me fill you in.
What is bailey’s Irish Cream?
Bailey’s is a combination of Irish Whiskey, of course, and a touch of chocolate and vanilla and lots of rich cream. A smooth drink that is perfect for sipping on the rocks or … you guessed it in coffee.
Back to how I only like Baileys or whisky of any form in a cream format I got to thinking what if made a dessert out of it? A deconstructed Irish Cream Coffee if you will.
A few batches in the kitchen trying to work out the kinks to get a light fluffy mousse that was the right combo of boozy and chocolate. Then I topped it with a fresh whip cream made with a little instant espresso to tie it all together. Yum! My husband the taste tester leapt at the chance to taste and this time his response…. “You should sell this!”.
Lou is a chocolate mousse and chocolate pudding fanatic and eats it every chance he gets. Even oddly at the end of a huge Chinese buffet mousse is his go-to dessert. So if he loved it I know you will too!
How to make Irish Cream chocolate mousse recipe
making the coffee whip cream
To make give this Irish Coffee Mousse its coffee flavour it is now time to make the coffee whipped cream.
This coffee-infused whip cream is made just like any other whip cream with the addition of some instant espresso or instant dark coffee granules.
- In a large bowl add 1 cup of cold whipping cream, 2 tbsp of granulated sugar and 1 tsp of instant espresso powder
- Beat on high with a hand mixer for about 3-4 minutes or until the cream has become light, fluffy and thick just like regular whip cream.
- Spoon a dollop of the coffee whip on top of the chocolate mousse dessert or fill a piping bag and pipe a swirl on top. Ready to serve!
A super easy chocolate mousse that will be an instant hit for St. Patrick’s Day or at any dinner party this year!
I recommend making the egg whites after making the chocolate and whip cream blend. This will give some time for the chocolate mixture to cool. To speed up the cooling process I sometimes place the pot of chocolate on a tea towel in the freezer for a few minutes. Do this carefully so you don’t spill it all and end up with a chocolate mess in your freezer.
- Chocolate swirls
- Chocolate chips
- Cocoa powder
- Chocolate covered coffee beans
- Chocolate sprinkles – maybe green ones for St. Patrick’s day
Do you need to refrigerate Baileys Irish cream after opening?
Surprisingly no. The alcohol works as a natural preservative.
How long is Baileys good for once opened?
Once opened Baileys is good for up to 24 months if stored at room temperature.
what is the alcohol content of baileys?
One fluid ounce of Baileys is 17% alcohol by volume. This Irish Cream Coffee Mousse recipe contains 1.5 fluid ounces but is separated into 4 servings. So each serving of the chocolate mousse recipe would be about 6.3% alcohol by volume. Click here for more information.
Irish Cream Coffee Mousse
- Large Bowl
- Medium bowl
- Double boiler
- Hand Mixer
- Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoons
- 4 small cups
Baileys Chocolate Mousse
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 3 tbsp Baileys Irish Cream
- 3 eggs whites only yolk discarded
- 1 pinch salt
Coffee Infused Whip
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp instant espresso powder
Add in 2 tsp of Baileys and mix well. Set aside to cool.
- Add water to the bottom pop of a double boiler and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. In the pot above the boiling water add 1 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips, 1/4 cup whipping cream 1/2 tsp vanilla. Stir continually until chocolate is melted and the whipping cream is combined. Remove from heat.
- Add in 3 tbsp of Baileys and mix well. Set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl add 3 egg white and a pinch of salt. Mix on with a hand mixer on medium high until firm peaks form. About 3 minutes
- Gently fold the chocolate mixture into the egg whites with a spatula until well combined. Do not over mix or the egg whites will deflate and you will not end up with a light and fluffy mousse.
- Pour chocolate mousse mixture evenly into 4 small cups and place in the fridge for one hour to set.
Coffee Infused Whipped Cream
- In a large bowl add 1 cup of cold whipping cream, 2 tbsp of granulated sugar and 1 tsp of instant espresso. Beat with a hand mixer on medium-high for about 4 minutes or until whipping cream becomes light and fluffy. Similar to a typical whipped cream.
- Add whipping cream to the top of the set chocolate mousse and top with sprinkles, cocoa powder etc. Serve.
pin it for later!
For the step-by-step version of this recipe, check out the How to Make Irish Cream Coffee Mousse Story.