Every cookie platter needs something other than a cookie to create some interest and create a pop of colour and these peanut butter balls are always my finishing touch. A rich peanut butter filling with a little crunch for texture rolled into two-bite size balls and then dipped in chocolate.
This recipe is so easy to make and only uses 4 ingredients. Peanut Butter, Icing Sugar, Crispy Rice Cereal and well of course Chocolate.
The hardest part about making these is waiting for the chocolate to set after you have dipped them before you can eat them.
You know what I have learned this year about holiday baking? That just because I start my baking early so I can get all of my baking done the more I need to bake. I bake the cookies, put them in the freezer and when I come back half are always missing? Hmmm???
This is why I need so many recipes to actually make a platter because when I come down to the freezer to pull out my baked goods and arrange them on the platter I only have a little of this and a little of that left. Ha! Anyone else have a problem with disappearing cookies?
These Chocolate Peanut Butter Balls are easy to make but that doesn’t mean I don’t have a few tips to share.
TIPS FOR MAKING PEANUT BUTTER BALLS
- Once you have made the peanut butter filling cover and let sit in the fridge for about 15 minutes so the peanut butter stiffens up a bit and is less sticky. This makes them easier to roll with your hands into a ball
- Use a small cookie scoop or melon baller to scoop out the filling to roll into balls. This way you know every piece will be the same size
- Rest the peanut butter balls on top of a fork and dip in the chocolate and use the fork to gently roll the ball around in the chocolate to evenly coat. Lift out gently by placing the fork under the chocolate coated ball and place gently on a lined cookie sheet
- Once all the balls have been dipped in chocolate let rest uncovered in the fridge for an hour so chocolate hardens. Then you can put them in a covered container and store for later.
- Store in the fridge until they are ready to be served or placed on a cookie platter.
CHOCOLATE PEANUT BUTTER BALL RECIPE
Chocolate Peanut Butter Balls
- 1 cup peanut butter smooth
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1 cup Rice Krispies
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- In a large bowl combine peanut butter, icing sugar and Rice Krispies
- Place filling in fridge covered for 10 minutes so it firms up a bit to make it easier to roll into balls
- Roll filling into small balls pressing to ensure the balls are firm and won't fall apart. Roll each ball into a smooth round ball. Place on a lined cookie sheet
- In a microwavable bowl melt chocolate on low using the "Melt Chocolate" setting our your microwave. Alternatively place the chocolate in a heat resistant bowl over a pot of simmering water and gently melt the chocolate. Make sure no water splashes into the bowl. I like to put my bowl inside of a veggetable steamer to it sits nicely above the simmering water.
- Dip rolled peanut butter balls into the chocolate one at a time and roll around to ensure evenly coated. Place chocolate covered ball back onto lined cookie sheet
- Once all balls are dipped place uncovered cookie sheet into the fridge for about an hour to ensure the chocolate sets before eating. Or you will get really messy!