These Oreo Truffles are out of this world! A decadent oreo cookie and cream cheese centre covered in a hard chocolate coating to give it a little crunch with every bite!
My husband is a chocolate-loving maniac and self-proclaimed chocolate aficionado! The way he assesses chocolate desserts would make you think he was getting paid to taste chocolate desserts all day and give his opinion. The richer, deeper, and more chocolate overload a dessert can be the better.
So when I made these Oreo Balls which are actually very simple to make I put them to the test. The result?…he was speechless! Only because he had his mouth full of Oreo truffles while trying to share his thoughts with me. It sounded like a bunch of mumbles but I got the picture… they passed the chocolate test!
One of his other chocolate faves are these Super Fudgey Chocolate Crinkle Cookies.
This Oreo Truffle Recipe is the perfect sweet treat to make when you are in the pinch or have a crazy chocolate craving underway! They take about 15 minutes to make and about an hour to chill before you can dive in.
How Do You Make Oreo Truffles?
Just a few simple steps are all it takes!
Move the cookie sheet of Oreo Truffles to the fridge to let the chocolate coating set and cool to form a hard exterior shell before serving. About 1 hour.
Do You Have To Refrigerate Oreo Truffles?
Oreo Truffles are fine outside of the fridge for up to 2 hours but depending on the temperature of the room the exterior chocolate coating may become soft after too long. I prefer to eat my Oreo Truffles right out of the fridge because of the crunch you get when the outside chocolate shells are still cold. Because these balls are made with cream cheese it is also advisable for food safety reasons to keep refrigerated.
How Long Will Oreo Balls Keep?
Oreo Balls will keep in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 3 weeks. You can also freeze them for up to 4 months in an airtight container and let thaw in the fridge before eating (frozen chocolate isn’t the best tasting)
Can I Use Low-Fat Cream Cheese For Oreo Balls?
I wouldn’t recommend it. I always believe if you are going to indulge in a decadent treat just enjoy it. The few calories you save are not worth the sacrifice. Plus, light cream cheese can be tricky because it has higher water content. In the case of oreo balls, the thickness of the cream cheese is what holds it all together so while I haven’t tried it I wouldn’t risk it on this recipe.
Variations of oreo truffles To Try!
- Add a pinch of sea salt to the top of the dipped balls
- Instead of just using the oreo cookie crumbs try blending ¾ of a bag of Oreo cookies in a food processor and use the full cookie… perhaps try the flavoured Oreos like mint, pumpkin or vanilla!
- Swap out the vanilla extract for peppermint extract for a chocolate mint Oreo truffle
- Add some crumbled Oreo Cookies, Coconut, Chocolate Shavings or Sprinkles to the top of the Oreo Truffles when after they are dipped
- Swap out the semi-sweet chocolate for white chocolate to dip
- Drizzle some white or dark chocolate over the Oreo Balls after the chocolate has set in the fridge for the hour and then put back in the fridge for the drizzle to set for another hour before serving
Perhaps make a few different variations and make a truffle basket or box for gifts. So simple to make and so many ways to dress them up the possibilities are endless. These decadent Oreo Truffles are guaranteed to know your socks off!
Some of my other favourite recipes that are perfect for the chocolate lovers out there include:
If you have made this Oreo Truffle Recipe and enjoyed it please give it a 5-star rating!
Out-Of-This-World Oreo Truffles
- Medium bowl
- Hand Mixer
- Measuring Spoons
- Cookie Sheet
- Parchment Paper
- 1 brick cream cheese 250g, softened
- 1 1/2 cups Oreo Cookie Crumbs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
- 1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- In a medium bowl add the brick softened cream cheese and beat with a hand mixer until light and fluffy
- Add 1 1/2 cups oreo cookie crumbs, 1 tsp vanilla and 1/2 a cup of icing sugar and mix well into cream cheese
- Form oreo cookie dough into 28 evenly sized balls about a rounded tsp each in size.
- Melt 1 1/2 cups of semi-sweet chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl in the microwave. I have a setting for melting chocolate but if you don't melt on low setting for 1 minute at a time and stir in between cycles until chocolate is melted and smooth. Add 1 tsp of coconut oil and mix. This helps the chocolate stay smooth and makes it easier for dipping.
- Dip each ball in the chocolate and roll around the cover completely. Use a fork to lift it out and let the excess chocolate drip off before placing on a baking sheet that has been lined with parchment paper.
- Place the baking tray of oreo truffles in the fridge for an hour to allow for the outside chocolate shell to harden and set. Eat right away or store hardened Oreo Truffles in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 weeks.
If you enjoyed this recipe you may also like…
Pin It For Later!