If you’re looking for the perfect blueberry cocktail for summer, this Blueberry Crush recipe is it. Light and refreshing, it’s made with fresh berries, vodka, and ginger simple syrup for a cocktail that’s just the right balance of sweet and tart.
Save This Recipe!
Enter your email below and get it sent straight to your inbox. Plus, you get more tasty recipes every week!
I have to admit it – this Blueberry Crush is going to be one drink I make over and over this summer. Especially once fresh blueberries are in season!
It’s an easy blueberry vodka cocktail to whip up when you just need something to relax at the end of a hot day but it’s also perfect for summer cookouts and gatherings with friends and family. (I’ve included directions for making a pitcher below as well.)
If you’re a fan of cocktails that aren’t overly sweet but rather a bit tart and refreshing, this simple blueberry cocktail is for you!
What Is a Blueberry Crush?
A Blueberry Crush (sometimes called a “Blueberry Smash”) is a popular blueberry cocktail made with fresh berries, vodka, lemon juice, simple syrup, and club soda. It’s light, refreshing, and has a slightly tart and tangy flavour, thanks to the berries and lemon.
Ingredients & Substitutions
- Blueberries – Plump, fresh blueberries are ideal but frozen berries will work in a pinch.
- Lemon juice – You’ll get the best flavor from freshly squeezed lemon juice.
- Ginger simple syrup – The ginger adds an extra level of tartness to the blueberry drink and pairs nicely with the other flavors but regular simple syrup will work too.
- Vodka – Use your favorite brand. There’s no need for top-shelf liquor in this cocktail but I wouldn’t grab the cheapest bottle either.
- Club soda – Lightens the drink and adds some bubbles. You could use ginger ale but it will make the drink sweeter.
Can I Use Frozen Blueberries?
Yes. I prefer to use fresh blueberries in my blueberry vodka drinks but frozen berries will work too. The end result just may not be as “pretty” when you muddle the berries.
Can I Use Different Liquor?
Sure. While a traditional Blueberry Crush is made with vodka, you can substitute your favorite liquor. White rum would work and the Blueberry Smash variation is often made with bourbon.
How to Make a Blueberry Crush
Begin by muddling the blueberries in a tall glass. Don’t go too crazy – you do not want to over muddle or the ugly insides will come out and it won’t look pretty. You just want to release some color and flavor.
Add the ice to the glass, then pour in the lemon juice, ginger simple syrup, and vodka.
Stir the blueberry cocktail to combine the ingredients then top with club soda. Enjoy!
How to Make a Pitcher of Blueberry Crush
This blueberry vodka cocktail makes a fantastic drink for summer cookouts and BBQs. And it’s super easy to make a big batch to share, instead of individual cocktails.
To make a pitcher of blueberry crush, just keep the ratios the same – 1 part lemon juice and 1 part simple syrup to 2 parts vodka.
Depending on how many 8-ounce glasses you can fit in your pitcher, you can just double, triple, or quadruple (or more) the ingredients in the recipe.
One caveat – Add the club soda and ice just before serving. You can combine the other ingredients in the pitcher, then pour over ice and top with club soda or just add the club soda right before pouring the cocktails.
As long as you wait to add the club soda, you can make this blueberry cocktail a few hours in advance and keep it in the fridge.
What Can I Use If I Don’t Have a Muddler?
If you don’t have a muddler, just use the end of a wooden spoon to make this blueberry vodka recipe. Truly anything that will break down the blueberries without crushing them completely will work but a wooden spoon is the best option, in my opinion.
Can I Make a Non-Alcoholic Version?
Absolutely. To make a non-alcoholic blueberry drink, just omit the vodka and replace it with additional club soda.
More Summer Cocktails:
- 10-15 blueberries
- ¾ oz lemon juice
- ¾ oz ginger simple syrup
- 1 ½ oz vodka
- top with club soda about 3 oz
- In a tall class muddle the blueberries to break up. Do not over muddle or the ugly insides will come and it won’t look pretty. You just want to release some color and flavor.
- Add the ice and pour in the lemon juice, ginger simple syrup and vodka.
- Give it a stir and top with club soda
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.