In my house, the BBQ master is my husband Luigi. He is handsome, fun and a good dad but he is also the creator of the Best Burger Recipe! A recipe he has been working on for quite some time now and has finally agreed to let me share with you all.
This is no ordinary burger recipe. But what I can promise is it is 100% gluten-free. I see no need to add breadcrumbs to burgers. Meat, spices and a little secret ingredient is all you need. In the end, you get a juicy burger worth keeping secret… until now.
The Best Burger Recipe – Luigi’s Creation
When I first met my husband he could not cook a single thing. To be fair he came from a very traditional Italian family and being a boy “doing household things” was not an expectation for the most part. Fair or not fair… it is just the way it was.
That is until we met. We agreed early on that if we were to stay together household tasks would be shared 50/50. My work was cut out for me but to this day we equally share in taking care of the house and all that comes with it. With kids and both of us having busy jobs we agreed that whoever was home first was the one who would cook and whoever didn’t cook cleans up.
Over the years Lou has turned into a BBQ Master. He makes a great steak, lamb and you guessed it Burgers!
Lou will not let anyone else make the burgers in the house. We prefer homemade burgers simply because we know they will be made with lean beef and no fillers. He has been perfecting this recipe over the past few years and has created the Best Burger Recipe you will ever find.
Incidentally, he also loves to make this Honey Sriracha Grilled Chicken Thigh Recipe.
This recipe is made with lean ground beef, lean ground pork and a little feta and the perfect combination of simple spices. A super easy make-ahead recipe that can be frozen for up to 2 months.
How To Freeze Homemade Burgers So They Won’t Stick Together
To freeze make the patties first and place on a cookie sheet lined with wax paper. Place 6-8 patties on the wax paper not touching. Then lay a sheet of wax paper on top and add 6-8 more patties. Place flat in the freezer overnight or until completely thawed. Once thawed transfer to a sealed container for up for 2 months separating each later with the waxed paper. The burgers do not stick to wax paper so when you are ready to pull them out of the freezer they won’t stick together.
Tips To Stop Hamburgers From Shrinking
- Make the hamburger patties about an inch in diameter larger than the finished size you are aiming for
- Cook on medium heat on an open flame. When you close the barbecue lid the barbecue is hotter than it looks on the temperature gauge. High heat contributes to shrinkage … unlike cold water (sorry couldn’t resist). Keep the lid of the barbecue open to maintain a medium level of heat. I also find that keeping the lid open reduces the number of flare-ups too.
- Make a dimple in the centre of each burger before freezing or if you forget after the burgers thaw out a bit on the barbecue. Just be careful not to burn yourself and use the back of the spoon. Pushing the centre of burgers in a little in the centre tops them from puffing up in the centre which also causes burger shrinkage
The Best Burger Recipe Ever!
- 3 lbs lean ground beef
- 2/3 lb lean ground pork
- 1 1/2 tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 tsp Weber Burger Spice
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp seasoning salt
- 2 tbsp feta cheese (optional)
- Place all ingredients in a large bowl. Mix using hands until well blended. Do not over mix or burgers will become tough.
- Scoop out 1 cup of beef mixture and roll into ball with hands. Flatten into patty 1" rounds and push a dimple into the centre of each patty with fingers.
- BBQ on medium high heat for 15 minutes or until juices run clear. Keep lid of BBQ open. In Canada most people like to eat our burgers well done so adjust accordingly. It is said 2-3 minutes per side for rare. Grill 2 to 3 minutes more for medium-rare burgers, 3 to 4 minutes more for medium, or 5 to 6 minutes more for well-done burgers. Add cheese during the last minute of cooking.
- Serve on burger buns or lettuce leaves and top with your favourite toppings.