This Chocolate Chip Mug Cake Recipe whips up in under 3 minutes and is Paleo Gluten and Dairy Free. Super moist and guilt-free using no extra sugar except for a few chocolate chips because… well chocolate!
I am always on the hunt for healthy snacks that are delicious and mug cakes are always a sure thing. I have been making mug cakes for years and have tried a lot of versions. Some with protein powder, some that might as well be dessert and others recently using date puree. All delicious but this recipe is by far my favourite.
What Makes this chocolate Chip mug cake Recipe great?
- Gluten-free – using coconut flour and almond flour instead
- Very low in sugar because it uses Stevia a natural sweetener that is zero calories.
- Includes a serving of protein
- Dairy-free – using unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- Just enough chocolate chips to kill a chocolate craving and the chocolate chips easily swap out for blueberries for a change of pace
What is a mug cake?
A mug cake is just that. A cake that is made in a mug and microwaved for a quick snack or dessert. Basically it is just a matter of adding small portions of cake ingredients and cooking quickly. It’s great because you really make it all in a coffee mug and don’t need to pull out blenders, bowls, pans etc. and have a whole mess in your kitchen and an hour of work. Just pull out your measuring spoons and a mug, mix and shove it in the microwave for a minute or two and presto… instant mug cake!
how to make this chocolate mug cake recipe
Once you have the base for this chocolate chip mug cake recipe you can switch it up and get creative.
Mug cake recipe variations to try
- Swap out the chocolate chips for blueberries or raspberries
- Add a dollop of whip cream to the top of the cooked mug cake
- Top with your favourite vegan or regular ice cream
- Not worried about extra calories try adding some Skor pieces for a hint fo caramel
- Add a tbsp of chopped pecans
Can you make this mug cake recipe ahead of time?
Planning on serving to guests or just want to bring this mug cake recipe to work with you for a healthy chocolate craving kicker afternoon snack. Just pack wrap up your mug tightly with plastic wrap and microwave when ready to eat for another 15 seconds to warm it up and melt those chocolate chips again. Store cooked in the refrigerator sealed for up to 3 days.
The #Chocotoberfest continues so be sure to check out these other delicious chocolate recipes from over 70 bloggers from across the globe!
Chocolate Chip Mug Cake Recipe
- Mug or small bowl 12 oz or greater
- Measuring Spoons
- 2 tbsp unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1 tbsp banana mashed
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp coconut flour
- 2 tbsp almond flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp stevia powdered
- pinch cinnamon
- 1 tbsp dark or semi-sweet chocolate chips
- In a large mug or small bowl at least 12 oz in size add egg, almond milk and banana
- Mash banana and mix well into the egg mixture.
- In the same mug or bowl add coconut flour, almond flour, powdered stevia, baking powder and cinnamon. Mix well into the egg mixture to form a batter.
- Add chocolate chips and mix into batter.
- Microwave for 1.5 minutes in 30-second increments waiting 5 seconds between rounds. The batter will rise while cooking and then fall when it is done cooking. I find this helps keep the batter from rising too quickly and spilling out over the top.
- Allow cooling for 1 minute before eating. The mug will be very hot so be sure to remove with oven mitts or wait till cooled enough to handle before removing from the microwave.
If you like this recipe you may also like
Pin it for later!