Strawberry Spoon Cake is a quick and easy dessert that’s perfect for summer. Top with whipped cream or ice cream for a fuss-free dessert everyone is sure to love.
This strawberry spoon cake is going to be a summer hit in this house. I can already see myself making it again and again, as it’s just so easy. All you need to do is mash some strawberries with sugar, prepare the cake batter, and bake.
The texture of this cake is super soft and tender – so tender that you can easily eat it with a spoon. It has a bit of a rustic feel to it and the texture makes it feel decadent but there are few desserts out there that are easier to make.
I recommend enjoying this with some fresh whipped cream for an elegant, simple dessert that will be the hit of your summer.
What Is A Spoon Cake?
A spoon cake is a bit of a combination between a regular cake and a crumble. It features soft, tender sponge cake topped with macerated fruit. In today’s spoon cake recipe, we’re using fresh strawberries and vanilla cake mix, though you can opt to make the cake from scratch or use other berries.
Ingredients & Substitutions
- Vanilla cake mix – Prepare the cake according to the package instructions.
- Cake mix ingredients – The cake mix I used called for milk, eggs, and vegetable oil. Be sure to check your box to see if yours is different.
- Brown sugar – Brown sugar gets mixed in with the strawberries to add a little more sweetness and create a light syrup.
- Strawberries – Fresh strawberries are best, washed and trimmed before using.
Can I Use Other Berries?
Yes, other berries like blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries will work in this spoon cake recipe. You can also use other fruits like peaches and apricots.
How to Make Cake Mix Strawberry Spoon Cake
To make your strawberry spoon cake, begin by preheating the oven to 350°F.
Prepare the strawberries by washing and trimming them, then cut them into quarters. Then add them to a medium-sized bowl with brown sugar.
Mash the strawberries with the back of a spoon, fork, or potato masher to break them into smaller pieces and release the juices. I recommend leaving some larger pieces as well. When done set the strawberries aside while you make the cake.
Prepare the cake mix per the packaged instructions, with the required ingredients. Beat the batter on high for 2 minutes. This adds air so that you get a light and crumbly cake.
Pour the batter into a greased 9″ x13” pan, using a spatula to push the batter into the corners.
Bake the cake for 15 minutes. Remove the cake from the oven when it is halfway done baking and then spoon the strawberry mixture evenly over the top of the cake.
Baking the cake halfway will prevent the strawberries from dropping to the bottom of the cake and leave some suspended throughout for a beautiful cake rippled with strawberries throughout when done.
Continue to bake for 15 to 20 minutes more or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely before cutting or topping with whipped cream or ice cream.
You can enjoy this easy strawberry cake recipe on its own or topped with fresh whipped cream or a scoop of ice cream. I find it best to enjoy this cake at room temperature or even slightly warm, though you do want the sugared strawberries to cool before you slice the cake.
Can Vanilla Strawberry Cake Be Made In The Slow Cooker?
Yes, you can also prepare this vanilla strawberry cake in the slow cooker. Prepare the cake and strawberries as directed but transfer the batter to the slow cooker and top with strawberries again when the cake is half-baked. About 90 minutes into cooking. It will take 2 to 3 hours on low.
Can This Be Made In Round Pans Instead?
Yes, you can make strawberry spoon cake in a round pan. You can even make it using 2” round pans, then be fancy and layer them with whipped cream and decorate with more strawberries on top.
Do I Have To Use Cake Mix For This Strawberry Spoon Cake Recipe?
You can use any sponge cake recipe to make this spoon cake. I just like to use a cake mix to keep things easy!
Strawberry sponge cake is best stored on the counter, not in the fridge. Keep it tightly covered with plastic wrap. It should last for 2 to 3 days.
I do not recommend freezing the cake, as that can affect the texture.
More Easy Cake Recipes:
- Lemony Blueberry Keto Cake
- Layered Chocolate Orange Cake
- Crockpot Caramel Apple Dump Cake
- Spanish Almond Cake with Berries
Cake Mix Strawberry Spoon Cake
- 1 box Golden Vanilla Cake Mix Plus ingredients required in package instructions.
- 1 lb strawberries
- 1/2 cup brown sugar; lightly packed
- Preheat the oven to 350°F or the temperature recommended on the cake mix box.
- Lightly grease a 9" X 13" cake pan.
- Wash, trim and quarter the strawberries then add them to a medium bowl. Add the brown sugar and mash with a spoon, fork or potato masher to break up the strawberries and release the juices. Set this bowl aside.
- In a large bowl prepare the cake mix as per package instructions. Pour the cake mix into the prepared cake pan and use a spatula to push the cake batter into the corners of the pan evenly. Bake the cake for 15 minutes.
- Remove the cake and spoon the crushed strawberry mixture evenly over the cake. Place the cake back in the oven and continue to bake for another 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Remove the cake from the oven and let cool completely.
- Once the cake is cooled you can cut the cake into squares and serve as is or with a scoop of whipped cream or ice cream.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.