Warm caramel baked into a classic apple pie filling and topped with a cake and cinnamon sugar blanket. Serve it warm with ice cream and you have the easiest dessert ever!
Save This Recipe!
Enter your email below and get it sent straight to your inbox. Plus, you get more tasty recipes every week!
Crockpots aren’t just for dinner they can make excellent desserts too! Take this apple caramel dump cake recipe for example. This recipe is quite possibly one of the best desserts I have eaten. I may be biased because I doubt there is an apple dessert I don’t like. But even out of all of those options this one is the best!
This apple dump cake is also one of the easiest less fussy recipes on the planet. Even the most beginner baker or small child could pull this off! Just like the name implies you dump all the ingredients in the crockpot and turn it on. Wait a bit and serve! Zero skill required!
And while I normally don’t like to use packaged ingredients, and typically make everything from scratch, sometimes having a recipe that can be thrown together in minutes is a must!
what is a dump cake?
A dump cake is exactly what it sounds like. Dump all the ingredients, layer by layer into a baking dish or crockpot, top with cake mix and bake.
It may not be the prettiest dessert on the planet but it sure is an easy dessert recipe! Just in case you need a second dessert, this Mexican chocolate sheet cake recipe is also a snap to make!
- Apple Pie Filling – The canned kind will do. You can make your own but the beauty of this recipe is how fast it is to make.
- Caramel Squares – I use the wrapped caramel squares and cut them in half. You can also use caramel sauce that you would put on ice cream but I like the thicker texture of the caramel when it is melted from the squares.
- Yellow Cake Mix – You could use white or spice cake mix also if you choose.
- Butter – melted which adds flavour and moisture to aid in cooking the cake mix.
- Granulated Sugar
How to Make Apple Caramel Dump Cake In a Crockpot
First, start by greasing a larger crockpot with cooking spray or butter. I use a 7-quart oval crockpot. I like the oval version better because it creates a shallower base similar to a baking dish.
Add both cans of the apple pie filling and spread evenly over the bottom of the crockpot.
Top evenly with the caramel squares that have been cut in half.
Next, pour the yellow cake mix over the caramel layer and spread evenly patting it down lightly to create a crust for the apple pie dump cake.
Then pour the melted butter over the top of the yellow cake mix layer.
In a small bowl mix together the cinnamon and sugar then sprinkle the cinnamon-sugar mixture over the top of the apple dump cake with caramel.
Cover with the lid and turn on low for 4-5 hours or on high for 2.5-3 hours to bake.
Can I make this Apple Dump Cake Recipe in a Pan?
Yes! Preheat your oven to 350 F. Grease a 9″ X 13″ deep-sided baking dish and follow the exact same steps to prepare.
Place the caramel apple dump cake into the oven and bake for 50-55 minutes.
Dump Cake Variations
- Use a different fruit filling instead of apple
- Change up the cake mix you use. Apple goes well with white, yellow or spice cake mix but chocolate cake mix would be amazing with cherry pie filling!
- Top the cake with nuts like pecans, walnuts or slivered almonds
- Swap out the caramel pieces for caramel chips, caramel sauce or even chocolate chips
- Make individual servings for your guests in ramekins. Reduce the cooking time 20-25 minutes.
what Do You Serve Caramel Apple Dump Cake With?
I personally love a big scoop of vanilla ice cream on top of mine but whipped cream, more caramel sauce or even vanilla Greek yogurt would work well.
And don’t forget a nice cup of coffee or tea!
Can This Apple Dump Cake Recipe Be frozen?
Absolutely! But this works much better using the baking pan method over trying to freeze this recipe in a crockpot.
Since this recipe is best served warm I recommend assembling the ingredients into the baking dish then covering tightly. This apple pie dump cake can then be frozen for up to 3 months?
Can this recipe Be Made Ahead of Time?
Yes. Make it ahead of time and then let it cool completely. Store covered in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Before digging, warm it up in the microwave for a few seconds or place the crockpot back in the heating base to warm for about 20 minutes.
More apple dessert recipes To Try
Crockpot Apple Caramel Dump Cake
- 40 oz apple pie filling approx. 20 cans
- 1 ½ cups caramel squares cut in half
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- ½ cup butter melted
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- Grease a large crockpot using butter or cooking spray.
- Pour the apple pie filling into the bottom of the pot and spread evenly.
- Add the halved caramel pieces evenly over the apple filling.
- Empty one package of yellow cake mix over the top of the caramels and spread it evenly over the top, patting it down gently to form a crust.
- Pour the melted butter over top.
- In a small bowl mix together the cinnamon and sugar then sprinkle over top of the buttered cake mix.
- Cover the crockpot with a lid and let cook for 2.5-3 hours on high or 4-5 hours on low.
- Serve warm. Top with ice cream or whipped cream if desired.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
For the step-by-step version of this recipe, check out the How to Make Crockpot Apple Dump Cake Story.