Making pumpkin pie spice has never been easier. All you need is 5 common spices and you will be able to make homemade pumpkin spice all year to use in baking, coffee, soups and more!
When the leaves start to fall you know it is pumpkin spice season! Pretty much every coffee shop from here to kingdom come is running adds for pumpkin spice lattes, pumpkin donuts, and this year I even heard there is pumpkin KD.
Love it or hate it there seem to be two camps for pumpkin spice. I fall in the can’t get enough of it camp. The problem is most stores only carry pumpkin pie spice mix for a month or so a year and it seems to always be sold out when I need more.
Good thing it is super easy to make with only 5 spices you likely have in your spice drawer.
5 INGREDIENTS YOU NEED FOR DIY PUMPKIN PIE SPICE
- Ground cinnamon
- Ground ginger
- Nutmeg – you can use pre-ground or for even better flavour use the whole nut and grate it fresh with the fine grate side of your cheese grater
- Ground cloves – I actually always have whole cloves on hand and then when I need some ground I put them in my coffee grinder to grind them fresh
- Allspice – which is actually a grind of small aromatic berries from a West Indian tree. This ingredient is optional so if you can’t find it don’t sweat it.
how to make pumpkin spice spice
- In a small bowl add 2 tablespoon ground cinnamon, 2 teaspoon ground ginger, 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg, 1 teaspoon ground cloves and 1 teaspoon of ground allspice.
- Mix until well combined.
Yup, that is it! It would take you longer to drive to the store to pick it up than to just make homemade pumpkin pie spice at home.
Ways to use pumpkin pie spice
- Pumpkin pie
- Pumpkin breads or muffins
- Pasta dishes like stuffed shells or tortellini
- Fancy coffees – sprinkle over frappucino whip, on a latte or cappucino or add a sprinkle to your coffee ground before brewing.
You can really add it to anything you would add ground cinnamon too to give it a uniquely fall flavour.
Some of my favourite recipes that use pumpkin spice:
How to store homemade pumpkin pie spice
Pumpkin pie spice can be stored for up to 2 years in containers with tight-fitting lids much like other spices. Spices are generally always best to be stored in a cool dry place away from heat or sunlight which may alter the flavour.
How To Make Pumpkin Pie Spice
- Measuring Spoons
- Small Bowl
- 2 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- Add all spices to a bowl and mix well to combine.
IF YOU LIKED THIS RECIPE YOU MAY ALSO ENJOY…
PIN IT FOR LATER!