I live on peanut butter! This is an absolute truth and these Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars or I like to call them Crisps are amazing and ….. wait for it… healthy. Well that is in relative terms.
Crispy, crunchy, chocolatey and made with all natural ingredients, no processed sugar or corn syrup here.
Plus , not only is peanut butter a fantastic source of protein and fat it is delicious. Why do you think kids love peanut butter sandwiches so much … because they are so damn delicious. Especially on white Wonder Bread. I know because I ate peanut butter sandwiches every single day for lunch in elementary school and nothing else.
So when I was thinking about a different type of treat to add to my holiday platter this year I had to add a recipe with my favourite ingredient… you guessed… peanut butter!
These Peanut Butter Crisps are perfect for a Christmas cookie platter, a good treat for kids and fit in the 21 Day Fix Plan as a treat!
I used holiday Rice Krispies to add a little festive cheer to these for Christmas . But certainly these Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars don’t have to wait for the Holiday season to be eaten any Rice Krispies will do even the new brown rice Rice Krispies.
When making these one word of advice I would give is to make sure you line the pan with parchment paper. Without it I find these get stuck in the pan and break apart easily when you try and pull them out. If you use parchment paper you can lift them out carefully when they are cooled and cut into squares easily.
Peanut butter is one of those ingredients that makes your mouth water just thinking about it. Can transport you back to your childhood in just one bite and is healthy?
Wait what? You heard me peanut butter is good for you!
Well that is if you eat natural peanut butter and not a brand loaded with other oils and sugars. Ask any fitness model, nutritionist, mom or vegan and they will tell you peanut butter is where it is at! Assuming you are not allergic, then peanut butter is very very bad.
4 HEALTH BENEFITS OF PEANUT BUTTER
- Eating peanut butter helps control hunger and cravings. Except in the case where I am craving peanut butter I guess. Peanut butter is a combination of healthy fat and protein which keeps blood sugars level keeping those hunger pangs at bay. It is great as a dip for sliced apples as snack! My fave!
- Need a kick in the pants to get going in the morning? Having an afternoon slump? Peanut butter is your solution. The combo of healthy fats, protein and fibre levels out insulin levels so that you benefit from a healthy stream of energy for hours without the energy spike and crash from consuming stimulants like coffee and/or sugar. Just a table spoon or two will do the trick
- Peanut butter gives you better skin. I am not suggesting rubbing it all over you. Please no. Instead peanut butter contains a high amount of Vitamin E which helps maintain and restore skins moisture. So eat up and say by by to those rough elbows.
- Consuming peanut butter regularly reduces risk of heart disease. The healthy fats found in peanuts and peanut oil have the ability to reduce LDL levels and also reduce the amount of plaque (I know gross) that may be clogging up blood vessel walls.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars – Healthy and 21 Day Fix Approved
- 3/4 cup honey
- 1 cup natural smooth peanut butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 cups Rice Krispies
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup skinless salted peanuts or unsalted and add a 1/2 tsp salt to honey/peanut butter mix
- In a large pot heat honey and peanut butter on low heat until they are melted and blended together.
- Add vanilla and salt (only if using unsalted peanuts)
- Remove from heat
- Add Rice Krispies, chocolate chips and peanuts
- Mix well
- Press into an 8X8 glass pan lined with parchment paper
- Cool in fridge
- Once completely cooled and set you can remove the peanut butter crisps from pan and cut into squares