Chickpea Brownies – A decadent flourless treat for those days when you just need some chocolate in your life! All you need is a good blender and these brownies will be yours in no time with minimal cleanup. Each brownie is under 200 calories with no processed sugars. A healthy alternative to traditional brownies with all the fudgy goodness you crave!
I finally won! I baked a batch of these gluten-free brownies and my kids loved them! This is huge because every time I bake something for them outside of Christmas and Thanksgiving they always think I am up to something…. hiding veggies in some form or other and well…
They are usually right.
But not this time… nope this time it was BEANS!
Garbanzo beans or chickpeas. Whatever you like to call them but they ate them and went back for seconds. Mom victory!
These brownies are super soft and spotted with some rich dark chocolate chips to make them even more decadent. Try and aim for 70% dark chocolate or higher. I used a dark chocolate bar I had in the house that had some sea salt and almonds and chopped them up instead of chips and it worked out great.
Ingredients you will need for chickpea brownies:
More of my favourite healthy snacks to try:
- Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Mug Cake
- Cherry Lime Smoothie
- Best Ever Healthy Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- Healthy Homemade Granola Bars
- Oatmeal Banana Chocolate Chip Cookies
The best part about this recipe is that it comes together all in a blender in about 5 minutes. Add all the ingredients but the chocolate chips together and blend until smooth.
I recommend using a high powered blender so that when blended you are able to get a smooth texture with fewer if any chunks of beans or fruits when blending smoothies. I love my Blendtec!
Once the mixture is done blending fold in the chocolate chips and pour into the prepared pan.
To avoid them sticking in the pan the recipe recommends that you put parchment paper on the bottom of the pan and spray with a little non-stick spray. Then pour the batter in and spread with a spatula so it is even across the top and tucked into the corners of the pan.
Pop them in the oven for about 25 minutes at 350ºF and remove when you are able to insert a toothpick in the centre and the stick comes out pretty clean.
I will not profess that these chickpea brownies are as good as an ooey-gooey brownie made with flour and sugar the old fashioned way but…. for those who want to be able to eat a little healthier and enjoy some delicious treats… they are great way to get your chocolate fix!
Decadent Chickpea Brownies
- 8" X 8" Plan
- Parchment Paper
- Cooking Spray
- Measuring Spoons
- Measuring Cups
- 15 oz can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter melted
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup honey or maple syrup
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp gluten-free baking powder
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate or semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Add all ingredients to a blender or food processor but the chocolate chips.
- Blend until smooth.
- Fold chocolate chips into the mixture.
- Line an 8" X 8" pan with parchment paper and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Pour mixture evenly into lined pan.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre of the brownies comes out clean.
- Cut into 16 squares. Cool. Serve.