This Chocolate Peanut Butter Lasagna is made with smooth peanut butter and cream cheese filling layered between a chocolate cookie wafer crust then topped with a creamy chocolate whip. Finish it off with crumbled pieces of peanut butter cups and Oreo cookies on top. A decadent crowd pleaser!
This was originally published in August 2018 and has since been updated to include more information, FAQs and updated pictures.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Lasagna is the perfect no-bake dessert!
This is not a typical lasagna. Oh no… this is a chocolate peanut butter lasagna. Now don’t be fooled you won’t find noodles inside because that would be gross but what you will find is layer upon layer of dessert heaven!
The first layer starts with an Oreo Cookie crumb crust. Next, a layer of peanut butter cheesecake whip. Top that layer off with some crumbled peanut butter cups and more Oreo crumbs. Think of those like the noodles if you must!
Add a light fluffy layer of chocolate pudding whip which is topped with yet another layer of peanut butter cup and Oreo crumbs. Oooh yeah! This is one dessert that will require an extra hole in your belt buckle!
This recipe is perfect for a party because it is a taller dessert that is super decadent and filling so a smaller piece per person will do. You can also easily double this recipe if you are bringing it to a larger party. One of my other favourite recipes to bring to a party is this Mexican Chocolate Sheet Cake.
ingredients you’ll need:
- 30 Oreo cookies
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1 packaged of cream cheese
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
- 1L tub of Cool Whip topping
- 1 package of chocolate pudding mix
- 2 cups milk
- 1 bag of peanut butter cups
how to make this dessert lasagna:
TIPS and tricks!
- Read the instructions the night before starting or hours in advance. The cream cheese needs to be softened to room temperature and the Cool Whip needs to be thawed. This takes time.
- Use your blender to crush the cookies into crumbs but only put in maybe 15 at a time. If you put too many in the blender at once I found they did not get crushed and I had large pieces of cookie left.
- In lieu of crushing Oreo cookies in your blender, you can buy ready to bake chocolate cookie crumbs at your local bulk food store or sometimes in the baking section at the grocery store beside the graham cracker crumbs
- After you are done making this dessert cover it with plastic wrap and store it in the freezer. Take out a 5 – 10 minutes before serving. It is much easier to cut when slightly frozen.
what if I have a peanut allergy?
You can still make this dessert but instead, replace the regular peanut butter with your favourite nut-free butter. Since the peanut butter is mixed with cream cheese, icing sugar and whipped topping you or your nut-eating friends won’t notice a difference at all.
Can you make this recipe gluten free?
To make this recipe gluten-free use swap out the Oreo cookies for a gluten-free chocolate cookie. I have used the Glutino version in the past and they are just as good. My kids didn’t even notice a difference.
How long will this dessert last?
This no-bake peanut butter dessert will last for up to 2 months in the freezer.
What if i don’t have a blender?
To make the cookie crumb crust instead place the cookies in a plastic bag or between two sheets of waxed paper and use a kitchen mallet or rolling pin to crush the cookies into pieces. Or alternatively, you can also buy cookie crumbs that are already crushed for you either at the grocery store or in most bulk food grocers.
Can I double this recipe?
Absolutely! In fact, if you are going to a large party I highly encourage you to do so. Plus leftovers won’t go to waste because you can freeze this recipe for up to 2 months. If doubling the recipe just double all the ingredients and use a 9″ X 13″ pan instead.
substitions and variations:
- Make a crust using graham cracker crumbs, crumbled chocolate chip cookies or shortbread
- Mix up the topping using chocolate chips, Reese’s Pieces, peanut butter chips or your favourite chocolate bar crumbled up
- Make it gluten-free by replacing the cookies with gluten-free chocolate and vanilla wafers
- Use packaged cookie crumbs
- Make this no-bake dessert peanut-free by replacing the peanut butter with your preferred nut-free butter.
No-Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Lasagna
- Small Bowl
- 9" X 9" pan
- Large Bowl
- Measuring Spoons
- Measuring Cups
- Hand Mixer
- Chopping Knife
- In a blender crush 25 Oreo Cookies – Ensure there are no large pieces and cookies are finely crushed.
- In a small bowl combine the Oreo Cookie crumbs with the melted butter. Press evenly into a 9 X 9 pan
- In a large bowl add the cream cheese, icing sugar and peanut butter. Beat with an electric hand mixer on medium until well blended and fluffy.
- Gently fold in half of the Cool Whip topping and combine well. Spread evenly over Oreo cookie crust.
- Sprinkle 1/2 of the quartered peanut butter cups and 1/2 of the remaining crushed Oreo cookies evenly on top of peanut butter layer.
- In a large bowl make the Chocolate Pudding according to package directions. Likely add the pudding powder and milk and beat for 2 minutes on high with electric mixer or wire wisk. Gently fold in remaining Cool Whip. Spread mixture evenly over peanut butter and candy layer.
- Sprinkle remaining cookie bits and peanut butter cup pieces over top.
- Cover with plastic wrap and chill for 2-3 hours in the freezer. Before serving remove from freezer and let thaw for 10-15 minutes or when easy to cut.
IF YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE YOU MAY ALSO enjoy…
pin it for later!
This recipe can also be found on Miz Helen’s Country Kitchen in Full Plate Thursday.