A mix between a croissant and a muffin, this Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cruffin Recipe is fluffy, flaky, and melt-in-your-mouth good with a delightful peanut butter and chocolate chip filling. Dust with powdered sugar for the ultimate afternoon pick-me-up.
Can’t decide between a croissant and a muffin? Just make yourself a cruffin! This recipe for cruffins features the best of both worlds, with the flaky dough shaped into a muffin and laced with layers of creamy peanut butter and chocolate chips. It’s the perfect immersion of flavours and textures.
While both muffins and croissants can be enjoyed for breakfast, I definitely put this sweet treat in the dessert category – though I suppose the peanut butter does give some protein to get you through the morning! (And who can’t use a sweet treat in the morning sometimes?)
What Is A Cruffin?
A cruffin is a combination of a croissant plus a muffin. Cruffins are made with croissant dough (you can make your own but I just buy rolls of it) that are then rolled up and cooked in a muffin tin. There are, of course, many ways to switch them up. The most common way is to simply roll them in sugar but my personal favourite is with peanut butter and chocolate chips, as I share in this recipe for cruffins.
Ingredients & Substitutions
- Crescent roll dough – Crescent roll dough gives cruffins their soft, flaky texture.
- Butter – Butter is mixed with the peanut butter to make it easier to spread.
- Creamy peanut butter – While you could use a crunchy peanut butter if that’s your preference, I like the texture of creamy peanut butter. I find that natural peanut butter gives a bit of a grainy texture.
- Chocolate chips – Milk chocolate, semisweet, or dark chocolate…your choice!
- Flour – Used to stop the dough from sticking to the work surface.
- Powdered sugar – Optional but adds a nice sweet touch.
How to Make Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cruffins
Start by preparing the muffin tins with a non-stick cooking spray and preheating the oven to 350°F.
Roll both cans of croissants on a floured surface, pressing down on the perforations to create two large sheets. Each one will be a layer for the cruffin.
Microwave the butter and peanut butter, so the peanut butter is thin enough to spread easily. Stir together and spread a small amount on the bottom layer of croissant dough. Top with half of the chocolate chips. Repeat the process with the second layer of croissant dough, peanut butter, and chocolate chip.
Roll the dough up. It should look similar to a cinnamon roll. Slice into 9 pieces and place each one in a muffin tin.
Use dental floss to cut the dough into rolls. Slide a length of floss under the roll of dough and pull the ends tight. The floss slices straight through with ease and no sticking!
Bake for 20 minutes, until the cruffins are a nice golden brown. Allow to cool slightly but I do recommend serving them warm! Dust with powdered sugar before serving if desired.
Easy Cruffin Variations
If peanut butter and chocolate isn’t your thing, here are some other cruffin recipe toppings and fillings:
- Cinnamon sugar
- Grated apple (especially good with cinnamon sugar!)
- Cream cheese
- Or stay classic and just roll them in regular granulated sugar!
How to Store
Cruffins are best enjoyed the day they’re baked when they’re still fresh, soft, and flaky. However, you can store them at room temperature for up to 2 days. I recommend popping them into the microwave for a few seconds to warm them up before enjoying them.
Can Cruffins Be Frozen?
Yes, cruffins can be frozen. The croissant dough tends to lose flavour when it’s been frozen for too long so I recommend keeping them in the freezer for only a month or two at the most. Thaw at room temperature and enjoy!
More Peanut Butter Recipes:
- Gluten-Free Peanut Butter Cookies
- No-Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Lasagna
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Eggs
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Balls
Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cruffins
- 2 cans crescent roll dough
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips
- 2-3 tbsp flour for rolling
- 2 tbsp powdered sugar optional
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray muffin tins with non-stick cooking spray.
- Open both cans of croissants and roll them out on a floured surface. Press down on the perforations to create two large sheets.
- In a small bowl, microwave butter and peanut butter. Stir together. Spread a small amount of the melted butter/peanut butter on one layer of croissant dough. Sprinkle half of the chocolate chips.
- Top with the second layer of croissant dough, peanut butter and chocolate chips.
- Roll the dough up, similar to a cinnamon roll, then slice into 9 pieces. Place each roll in the prepared muffin tin.
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes or until the cruffins are golden brown. Remove and let cool slightly before serving. Dust with powdered sugar, if desired.