Made with cheddar, parmesan, sundried tomatoes, and a few spices, these Baked Cheddar Cheese Crisps are ready in just 10 minutes. They’re a fun, easy, and versatile snack – not to mention low-carb!
These cheddar cheese crisps are seriously addicting. They’re like a Cheez-It cracker but way better because the only ingredients are cheese, tomatoes, and seasonings. They’re super low carb, easy to make, and ready in minutes. Yum and yum.
I also love how versatile they are. While I love this version, that has a pizza-like flavor to it, I also love to make a savory version with bacon or to switch up the cheese and create a whole new flavor.
These keto baked chips obviously make a great keto snack but in my experience, even those not following a low-carb lifestyle can’t get enough either.
Ingredients & Substitutions
- Cheese – Equal parts cheddar and parmesan cheeses are used to make these cheese crisps. Cheese that you shred yourself from the block will melt easier.
- Seasoning – Garlic powder, ground pepper, and oregano give these cheese chips the Italian pizza flavour.
- Sundried tomatoes – These add color and texture to the cheese chips, plus lend more to the pizza flavor.
Can You Use Any Type of Cheese to Make Cheese Crisps?
You can use pretty much any semi-soft cheese like Swiss or Colby in place of the cheddar. However, I wouldn’t use mozzarella as the chips could be soft but not crunchy.
How to Make Cheddar Cheese Crisps
These cheddar cheese crisps are super simple to make. Begin by preheating the oven to 375°F and lining a baking tray with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
Make the cheddar crisp mixture by combining the shredded cheeses, then adding the seasonings and chopped sundried tomatoes. Stir to combine.
Form the cheese crisps by spooning 1 to 1 ½ tablespoons of the mixture at a time onto the baking sheet. Each pile should be able 2 inches wide and not very thick. If they are too thick, they’ll be chewy instead of crunchy. Also, take care to leave 1 inch between each one as they’ll spread when the cheese melts.
Then just pop the baking sheet in the oven and bake until the edges are golden brown. This should take just 4 to 5 minutes. Note that the center will be bubbly and melted but they’ll quickly harden out of the oven.
Do be careful and keep a close eye on them after a few minutes as the cheese can very easily burn if not removed promptly.
Allow the cheddar chips to cool to room temperature and enjoy!
Why are my baked cheese crisps soggy?
If you find your cheese crisps are soggy once they’ve cooled, you likely didn’t bake them enough. The edges should be brown before they are removed from the oven. Alternatively, you may have used a soft cheese that won’t harden properly when it cools.
Can Cheese Chips be Made In the Air Fryer?
Sure can! Just follow the same steps but use an air fryer sheet pan instead. Since every oven and air fryer are different keep an eye on them so they don’t burn.
There are so many fun variations to these keto cheese chips! Experiment with your favorite semi-soft cheeses and seasonings to find the one you love most. Here are a few ideas:
- Add some bacon to make bacon and cheddar cheese crisps (with or without the sundried tomatoes)
- Italian seasonings
- Dry ranch seasonings
- Everything bagel seasonings
- Mexican seasonings
- Any of your other favorite seasoning mixes!
These make a pretty addicting snack to just munch on by themselves but there are so many other ways to enjoy these baked cheese crisps too. They’re a fun, low-carb way to add flavor to many things!
A few of my favorite ways to enjoy them:
- Crushed on salads (in place of croutons)
- With any type of dip
- Topped with pizza sauce and pepperoni for mini pizzas
- Like a cracker, topped with deli meats or veggies (these make a great addition to a charcuterie board)
How to Store
The best way to store keto cheese crisps is in an airtight container on the counter. They’ll last for 2 or 3 days (if you can keep them around that long!)
Refrigerating them is not a good idea, as the condensation can cause moisture, which will make the chips soggy. The same goes for freezing. Luckily, these are so easy to make that there’s really no point in freezing them anyway. It’s easier to just make new ones!
More Keto Recipes:
- Buffalo Air Fryer Turkey Meatballs
- Genovese Pesto and Goat Cheese Dip
- Antipasto Skewers
- Keto Chicken Parm
- Easy Keto Egg Muffins
- Spanish Deviled Eggs
Crispy Cheddar Cheese Crisps
- 1 cup cheddar cheese; shredded
- 1 cup parmesan cheese; shredded
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup sundried tomatoes; chopped
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and line a baking tray with parchment paper or a silicone mat; either will work.
- Mix shredded cheese in a medium bowl. Then add seasonings and chopped sundried tomatoes. Stir to combine.
- Then, spoon 1- 1 ½ tbsp of the mixture onto the silicone mat to make the cheese chips. They should be about 2 inches wide and not too thick, so they get crispy when cold. Left at least 1 inch in between so they don’t stick to each other.
- Bake your chips for four to five minutes, or until the edges are golden brown. The center will be bubbly and melt, but it’ll harden after a few minutes out of the oven. Be careful; these cheese chips burn easily and fast. Let your chips cool to room temperature before serving.