An easy-to-make Leek and Potato Soup Recipe that is comfort food at its finest! Russet potatoes, fragrant leeks and fresh herbs simmered and then blended until smooth to create a hearty soup with a velvety texture. A traditional Irish dish to serve for lunch or dinner.
I have never been a fan of creamy soups so for years shied away from making anything but broth-based soups like chicken noodle, beef barley or tortilla soup.
It wasn’t until I learned that using potatoes in soup and blending till smooth can give nearly any soup a creamy texture without the need for actual cream.
With this tidbit of knowledge, the doors to my soup world have blown wide open. I have been experimenting with various soup recipes all year.
I have always been a fan of leeks. They are a beautiful vibrant green and while similar to a green onion, except huge, they are sweet and mild adding wonderful flavour to many dishes and they can last a very long time. Up to 3 months if stored in a cool dry place.
In the fridge, they will only last 2 weeks.
Ingredients for Leek & Potato soup
And of course, you are going to need a little salt and pepper. Then all you need is one large heavy-bottomed pot, a spoon and a hand blender and you are all set!
how to make Potato Leek Soup
How to wash and clean leeks
Leeks grow from the ground and are often very dirty between the layers of the stems. It is important to clean them well before eating.
To clean leeks, cut the roots off at the end and then slice in half length size from the root to the top. Then spread out the layers and run under cold water to wash away debris.
For this recipe slice width-wise to about a 1/2 inch thickness.
Which potatoes are best for Potato leek soup?
I prefer to use russet potatoes because they have a higher level of starch content which gives this soup its creamy and velvety texture.
Can you make this recipe vegan?
You bet! To make this leek and potato soup recipe vegan replace the butter with olive oil and use vegetable broth.
Is leek and potato soup served hot or cold?
That is entirely up to you. When I eat soup I like my soup to be hot but this soup is often served cold as well.
When served cold you may hear it referred to as a vichyssoise. If serving this soup cold let cool for about an hour and then cover and let cool completely in the fridge preferably overnight before serving.
How to store leek and potato soup
This soup can be stored in the fridge in a tightly sealed container for up to 4 days.
This soup freezes well because it does not use any cream or dairy in it unlike many other leek and potato soup recipes. To freeze, allow the soup to completely cool and then portion it into airtight freezer containers. It will freeze well for up to 3 months.
Irish Leek & Potato Soup Recipe
- Meauring Cups
- Measuring Spoon
- Heavy Bottom Pot
- Immersion Blender
- 2 medium leeks washed and sliced
- 1 medium onion diced
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter or vegan butter
- 3 russet potatoes 1 – 1 1/2 lbs, peeled and cubed
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 tsp fresh thyme
- 3/4 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/2 tsp pepper or to taste
- Add 4 tbsp of butter, 2 cleaned and sliced leeks and 1 medium diced onion to a large heavy-bottomed pot. Sautee on medium heat until onions become translucent and leeks soften. About 5-7 minutes. Be sure not to let the leeks and onions brown and reduce heat as needed.
- Add 3 peeled and diced potatoes,1 tsp of fresh thyme and 4 cups of chicken broth. Simmer over medium heat for about 20 minutes or until potatoes are softened.
- Remove from heat add 3/4 tsp of salt and 1/2 tsp of black pepper or to taste. Using a immersion blender carefully blend until smooth. Serve.
- Sliced scallions or chives
- Sour cream
- Crumbled bacon
- Diced ham
- Chopped egg
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.