A light, crumbly but not dry Lemon Poppy Seed Bread coated with a luscious lemon icing glaze that is sure to please any lemon lover. Gluten, dairy-free and full of flavour.
I have been working on this lemon poppy seed loaf for a little over a week now and love how it turned out. My husband is my taste tester because he is always ready to give me his opinion, whether I ask for it or not sometimes.
He has become increasingly picky over the past year during my journey as a food blogger which is a good thing I suppose. Because I am looking for feedback to create the best recipes possible for you my readers.
If a recipe is just ok he will tell me. This usually comes in an all too familiar “meh” face he gives me followed by some takeaways and thoughts. But this recipe… his response “Ganon… we have a winner!”. Nailed it!
He ate the entire loaf himself in two days and when I was shooting this recipe I caught him with a fork scraping up the extra icing.
This Chocolate Chip Banana Bread is my son’s favourite… he is not a lemon aficionado.
How to this Make Lemon Poppy Seed Bread Recipe
I recommend adding the honey and the coconut oil at the very end when preparing the liquid ingredients. I find if you add the honey too soon it will settle at the bottom and be harder to mix in.
Coconut oil is very sensitive to temperature changes so adding it early with the cool eggs and mil will cause it to solidify and make it nearly impossible to mix. It is always the last thing I add to the liquid mixture.
How to make the lemon glaze
In a small bowl add 1 cup of icing sugar, 1 tbsp lemon juice and 1 tbsp of unsweetened coconut milk. Mix until all the sugar is dissolved and the glaze is smooth. Pour over the lemon loaf only after it has cooled completely.
Now I know this might sound crazy or perhaps you have heard stories on the news but it is possible to fail a drug screening with a false positive if you consume too many poppy seeds.
Can you fail a drug test from eating poppyseeds?
Yes, it is possible to receive a false-positive in a drug screening from eating poppy seeds. Poppy seeds come from the opium poppy, a plant that is used in drugs such as morphine, codeine and heroin. These drugs are not made from the poppy seeds themselves but rather from the sap extracted from the plant.
Poppy seeds used in baking are highly regulated and washed to make sure that any opioid residue from the plant’s sap is completely washed off. Here is a great article to check out regarding poppy seeds. I have never heard of a poppy seed bagel addiction so, while I am not a Dr., I am pretty sure a lemon poppy seed loaf addiction is also unlikely.
If you make this recipe, be sure to comment below and let me know how it was! Also, tag @thedeliciousspoon on Instagram.
Lemon Poppy Seed Bread
- Large Bowl
- Medium bowl
- Small Bowl
- Measuring Cup
- Measuring Spoons
- Lemon Zester
- Mixing Spoon
- Loaf Pan
- Parchment Paper
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/2 cup lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 1/3 cup liquid honey
- 1/3 cup coconut oil melted
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp unsweetened coconut milk
- Preheat oven for 350F. In a large bowl combine the almond flour, coconut flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Mix well.
- In a medium bowl beat 3 eggs together with a fork. Add coconut milk, lemon juice, vanilla, lemon zest, honey and melted coconut oil. Mix well.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until combined. Add the poppy seeds and mix till even throughout batter.
- Line a loaf pan with parchment paper, Pour the bread batter into the loaf pan and spread so the batter is even all around. Baked for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the centre of the loaf. The top of the loaf may be slightly browned on the rough edges of the bread when done.
- Remove the baked lemon bread from the oven and let cool completely.
- When the loaf is completely cooled it is time to make the glaze. In a small bowl add the powdered sugar, unsweetened coconut milk and lemon juice. Mix until sugar is dissolved and the icing is smooth.
- Pour over the lemon poppy seed bread and serve.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
For the step-by-step version of this recipe, check out the How To Make Butter Smothered Green Beans & Cashews Story.