Two of my favourite things in the world Shortbread Cookies and Skor Bit Toffee Pieces… wait for it … in a cookie! Hell ya!
And not just any shortbread cookie. This batter is so light that it does just what it promises and melts away in your mouth. Guess that is why they call them Shortbread Meltaways. They take no time to whip up and you get to use the egg beater which is always fun so there is nothing to not like about these cookies.
This is the second recipe I have done with a shortbread batter so that says something about my love for shortbread. My English background showing itself proudly.
The beauty of shortbread is that it is so easy to make once you know the tricks. These tricks can be found in my Shortbread Cookie post. And once you have mastered the art of a flaky buttery shortbread you can make the recipe unique by adding cranberries, rosemary, lemon zest, chocolate chips. You can roll them, cut them in squares, dip them…. the choices are endless.
These Skor Bit Shortbread Meltaways are a little different though. They cornstarch and flour to give a lighter feeling to the batter. They also include baking powder so that they rise more like a traditional cookie. But they still have the flaky buttery texture shortbread is famous for.
I brought these to a family dinner the other night and my niece has some allergies so when she asked if they were nut free I had no idea. Why? Because what really is in a Skor Bit anyway? Is it just toffee? So we went on the hunt for answers.
Are Skor Bits Peanut Free and Gluten Free?
- Skor Bits do not contain peanuts but they do contain almonds. So those who are allergic to tree nuts should not eat Skor Bits
- They are gluten free
- Other possible ingredients that may cause common allergic reactions include milk and cocoa butter another possible nut allergy
This recipe includes flour and butter so for any milk or gluten allergy would make these cookies a bad idea but for those with nut allergies these cookies could easily swap out the skor bits for chocolate chips or another brand of toffee bits that does not contain nuts.
SKOR BIT SHORTBREAD MELTAWAYS
This recipe for Skor Bit Cookies with a soft shortbread cookie that is so light and airy they just melt in your mouth! One batch makes about 18 cookies so you may want to make a double batch because in my house they don’t last long.
Skor Bit Shortbread Meltaways
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
- 1 3/4 cup pastry flour
- 1/2 cup corn starch
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup skor bits
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a large bowl beat butter and vanilla together until creamy
- In a separate bowl combine the icing sugar, flour, corn starch, baking powder and salt. Then gradually stir into butter batter. Add skor bits and mix till evenly distributed.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Roll heaping teaspoons full of batter into balls and place on baking sheet. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until starting to just turn slightly golden. Let cool on pan for 5 minutes so they won't break apart and then transfer to cooling rack.