This truly is an easy Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup that is made in one pot and done in under 30 minutes. A hearty combination of spices combined with sweet corn and crunchy tortilla chips make this the best Chicken Tortilla Soup I have made yet.
Add a little chicken and it makes a perfect lunch or dinner when you want to warm your sole or add a little spice to your day.
This post is sponsored by Ontario Bean Growers. I have been compensated to sponsor this recipe but -as always- all opinions are my own.
Don’t be intimidated by the long list of ingredients they are mostly spices and chances are you have everything you need in your cupboards just waiting to be put to good use… I know you do!
For years I was afraid to try soups outside of good ole Chicken Noodle Soup or maybe when I was feeling cray cray I would branch out to …. wait for it…. beef barley!
I am in my early 40s and I would say this fear of trying strangely only applied to soup. I mean really… how can that be? Not only did my mom tell me I need to be polite and eat what is in front of me at friends which was dicey at times but I travel quite a bit and have had alligator, cods tongue, durian, and a whole whack of weird foods.
Look up durian? Stinkiest thing on the planet! But when in Rome…. or uh Thailand…
So one day … at a friends house they were serving Chicken Tortilla Soup. Panic! But again, my mom told me I need to be polite. So down the hatch it went and to my surprise it was delicious. Kinda like chili (which in my mind isn’t soup) but lighter, spicy and well amazing!
Ever since have been on a mission ever since to recreate this perfect broth that is spicy, hearty, and with a little sweet … hello corn kernals! Hello Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup!
TIPS TO MAKE CHICKEN TORTILLA SOUP EASY
- Chop all of the ingredients before starting to cook. Chefs like to call this process Mise En Place. How many times have you started to make a recipe only to find that it is taking longer to chop the garlic and peppers than you thought or worse yet you are out of a key ingredient. Prep the ingredients ahead of time so the recipe comes together quickly and without the stress of furious chopping.
- This recipe is made for using left over chicken or to make it even easier use the roasted chickens available at many grocery stores and shred it up. My house always has a roasted chicken from the grocery story in the fridge.
- The broth may become thicker after refridgerating. Add a little extra broth or water before reheating.
- Don’t add the tortilla chips until right before you plan to eat the soup or they will get soggy and no one likes soggy tortilla chips
Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup
Spicy, sweet, hearty, filling, easy and done in under 30 minutes! And if you are anything like me being a busy mom on the go with the kids hockey and dance you will know that making a double batch means there are leftovers eat throughout the week. Or better yet, you can freeze this Chicken Tortilla Soup for those nights when you are in a pinch.
Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 jalapeno pepper finely chopped
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 1/2 cups crushed tomatoes Or one large can
- 15 oz black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 cups corn kernals frozen is fine
- 1 lime juiced
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro finely chopped
- 2 cups roasted or steamed chicken shredded
- In a large heavy bottom stock pot heat add olive oil, onions, jalepenos and garlic and let cook over medium heat until onions start to become translucent.
- Add crushed tomatoes, chicken stock, beans and spices. Stir to ensure blended evenly. If you like your soup broth to be thinner simply add some water or more chicken stock to desired density.
- Turn up heat and simmer on medium high for 15 minutes.
- Add corn kernels and continue to simmer for another 5 minutes.
- When complete add juice of a freshly squeezed lime and stir.
- Spoon with laddle into soup bowls and add shredded roasted chicken.
- Add 2-3 broken Corn Tortilla chips to top after and just before eating along with a sprinkle of fresh cilantro.
- Enjoy and refridgerate leftovers for 1-2 days or freeze for up to a month for lunches or dinners.