This truly is an easy Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe that is made in one pot and done in under 30 minutes. A hearty combination of spices combined with sweet corn and crunchy tortilla chips make this the best Chicken Tortilla Soup I have made yet.
This recipe was originally published in March 2018 and has been updated to include new photos and step-by-step instructions with pictures.
For years I was afraid to try soups outside of good ole Chicken Noodle Soup or maybe if I was feeling a little ambitious I would branch out to exotic beef barley. It wasn’t until I got to university when I was poor and doing a budget-balancing act between food, nights out and student expenses that I dipped my toe in the pool of soups beyond Lipton.
As roommates sometimes we would take turns making dinner for each other and this girl was not going to complain about soup that was free. What I learned is that soups of all kinds are magnificent and this tortilla soup recipe is just that! And this easy chicken tortilla soup goes great with gluten-free cornbread or cheddar cheese rolls.
Ingredients & substitutions
- Olive oil – To sauteé the peppers, onions and garlic. You can also use avocado or any other mild flavoured oil you prefer.
- Jalapeno – Adds a quick of spiciness. If you prefer a less spicy soup replace it with green or pablano pepper.
- Onion & garlic – Adds flavour.
- Chicken or vegetable broth – the base for the soup.
- Crushed tomatoes – Creates the tomato based broth and thickens the soup.
- Black beans – For added protien and fibre. You can also use kidney beans or pinto beans if you like.
- Spices – chili powder, cumin, paprika, salt and pepper and cayenne. Leave the cayenne out if you don’t want the soup spicy. Add more if you are brave!
- Corn kernels – To add a little sweetness.
- Lime juice – brightens up the flavour of the soup.
- Rotisserie Chicken – An easy protien to throw on top of the soup.
- Tortilla chips – Crushed on top of the soup or eat them whole and dip them in the soup. Your choice.
- Cilantro – optional to add a little colour and flavour.
How To Make This Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
Heat the olive oil over medium heat and add the chopped onions, garlic and peppers to a large heavy-bottomed pot. Let them sauteé until the onions become translucent. Be careful not to burn the garlic. Turn the heat down if you need to.
Add the chicken broth, crushed tomatoes, beans and spices to the pot and stir to combine. Bring the soup to a boil and then reduce the heat to medium-high to let the soup simmer for about 15 minutes.
Once the soup has had a chance to simmer add in the corn kernels. You can use fresh or frozen it doesn’t really matter. Let the soup continue to simmer for another 5 minutes.
If the soup is too thick for your liking and you would like to make it a little thinner you can always add more broth and let simmer for another few minutes to bring up to temperature.
Alternatively, if you think the soup is too thin let the soup continue to simmer to thicken or add a little more crushed tomatoes to thicken it up.
Before serving add freshly squeezed lime juice and give it a stir. The acid in the lime juice will brighten up the flavour giving the soup a more balanced flavour. Only add the lime juice though after the soup has been removed from the heat or else the heat will cause the lime juice to turn bitter.
After you have scooped some of this wonderful easy tortilla soup into a bowl add some shredded rotisserie chicken, some crumbled tortilla chips and top with a dollop of sour cream if you like.
Tips For A Successful Rotisserie Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Chop all of the ingredients before starting to cook. Chefs like to call this process Mise En Place. How many times have you started to make a recipe only to find that it is taking longer to chop the garlic and peppers than you thought or worse yet you are out of a key ingredient. Prep the ingredients ahead of time so the recipe comes together quickly and without the stress of furious chopping.
- This recipe is made for using left over chicken or to make it even easier use the roasted chickens available at many grocery stores and shred it up. My house always has a roasted chicken from the grocery story in the fridge.
- Use two forks to shred the chicken or slice the chicken that has been removed from the bones finely to be added. I like to keep a bowl of shredded chicken in the fridge and add it to the soup just before eating it.
- The broth may become thicker after refridgerating. Add a little extra broth or water before reheating.
- Don’t add the tortilla chips until right before you plan to eat the soup or they will get soggy and no one likes soggy tortilla chips
Storing & Freezing
Leftovers you say… no problem! Store the soup in a sealed container with or without the chicken already added for up to 4 days in the fridge. Don’t add the tortilla chips. Those go on top only just before eating or they will get mushy.
This soup freezes amazingly well too making it an easy dinner you can meal prep ahead of time. I like to freeze the soup in smaller containers for, enough for one person, with a portion of chicken and pull it out for lunches or a quick dinner.
It can be frozen for up to 6 months. When you are ready to eat defrost in the microwave or preferably on the stove in a pot over medium heat. Stir often to help it melt faster so it doesn’t burn on the bottom.
Want to jazz up your chicken tortilla soup? Try adding some of these garnishes for even more colour and flavour:
- Shredded cheddar, mozzarella or Tex Mex cheese.
- Crumbled cojita cheese
- Sour cream
- Chili flakes
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- Chopped fresh parsley
- Greek yogurt
- Corn chips
- Sliced or cubed avacado
Spicy, sweet, hearty, filling, easy and done in under 30 minutes! And if you are anything like me being a busy mom on the go with the kid’s hockey and dance you will know that making a double batch means there are leftovers eaten throughout the week.
If you liked This recipe You may Also enjoy…
Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 jalapeno pepper , finely chopped
- 1 onion , finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- 5 cups low sodium chicken broth , about one carton
- 2 1/2 cups crushed tomatoes , or one large can
- 15 oz black beans , drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 cups corn kernels , fresh or frozen
- 1 lime , juiced
- 2 cups roasted or steamed chicken , shredded
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro , finely chopped (optional)
- In a large heavy bottom stock pot heat add olive oil, onions, jalepenos and garlic and let cook over medium heat until onions start to become translucent.
- Add crushed tomatoes, chicken stock, beans and spices. Stir to ensure blended evenly. If you like your soup broth to be thinner simply add some water or more chicken stock to desired density.
- Turn up heat and simmer on medium high for 15 minutes.
- Add corn kernels and continue to simmer for another 5 minutes.
- When complete add juice of a freshly squeezed lime and stir.
- Spoon with laddle into soup bowls and add shredded roasted chicken.
- Add 2-3 broken Corn Tortilla chips to top just before eating along with a sprinkle of fresh cilantro.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Pin It For Later!
For the step-by-step version of this recipe, check out the How to Make An Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup Story.