Ready in just 10 minutes this lemon garlic butter shrimp recipe comes together in a flash and sings with a hint of zesty lemony goodness!
This is one of those recipes you can always count on in a pinch. It only takes about 10 minutes to make and uses only a handful of simple ingredients but is so delicious you will soon realize why it is a family favorite.
I keep bags of frozen shrimp at the ready in the freezer for days when I only have a few minutes to get dinner on the table. Since I was married over 20 years ago this recipe has been a favourite in my house. I fell in love with a similar recipe my mother-in-law makes with olive oil. She is Italian so olive oil is the basis for almost everything but me with my English beginnings… butter is the way to go!
A little butter and garlic for a garlic butter base and then a hit of lemon to brighten things up and add a little zing!
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Shrimp – peeled and deveined.
- Unsalted butter – I use unsalted butter for nearly everything simply because it allows you to add in only as much butter as you need without having it already included.
- Seasoning salt – or replace with sea salt.
- Black pepper
- Lemon – One large lemon juiced should produce just over a tablespoon of lemon juice… make sure to take out the seeds.
- Paprika – adds a little colour and flavour. Use smoked paprika for a smokier profile.
- Parsley – decoration is really all it is for but also helps to reduce bad breath from all of the garlic.
How To Make lemon garlic butter Shrimp
Over medium heat melt the butter and sauté the garlic for about 1-2 minutes. Make sure not to burn the garlic or it will turn bitter.
Add the shrimp, seasoning salt, pepper, and lemon juice and stir to evenly mix the seasonings. Cook for 3-5 minutes or until all of the shrimp have turned completely pink.
Remove from heat and sprinkle with finely chopped parsley. Serve over rice, pasta or with a side salad.
Recommended Side Dishes
- Flat pasta like linguine or fettucine
- Hemp Tabouli Salad
- Garden Herb and Green Bean Salad
- Chopped Cucumber Caprese Salad
- Fattoush Salad
- Greek Pasta Salad
How much shrimp do you need per person?
A serving of protein is usually considered about 4 oz per person but shrimp is much lighter than chicken or beef so I find that I tend to eat a little more than 4 oz. I usually buy a bag with about 36-40 large pacific white shrimp in them and that serves my family of 4. Two adults and two kids. I usually eat about 10 shrimp in a serving and my husband a little more.
If serving for guests the recommendation is to make 1 lb of raw unpeeled shrimp per person. It is always best to have a little leftover than not enough! For more information about cooking, shrimp check out this article from City Fish Market.
CAn you freeze this garlic butter shrimp recipe?
Yes! Make sure to chill the shrimp prior to freezing and when cooled completely placed the lemon garlic shrimp in a plastic resealable freezer back removing any extra air. The recipe can be frozen for up to 3 months.
To reheat, let thaw completely in the fridge overnight and then reheat in a pan over medium-high heat until shrimp are warm throughout.
Lemon Garlic Butter Shrimp
- Large pan
- Chopping Knife
- Measuring Spoons
- Wooden Spoon
- 1.5 lb shrimp 36-40 shrimp bag; peeled and deveined
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp seasoning salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 large lemon juiced, seeds removed
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley finely chopped
- In a large pan over medium heat add the butter and garlic and let simmer for 1-2 minutes making sure not to brown the garlic.
- Add the shrimp, seasoning salt, pepper, paprika and lemon juice to the pan and stir well. Cook until shrimp are no longer pink about 3-5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve over rice, pasta or with a side dish.
- Sprinkle with fresh chopped parsley if you wish.
Pin it for later!
For the step-by-step version of this recipe, check out the How to Make Garlic Butter Shrimp Story.