What can me more perfectly simple and perfectly delightful than Cupcakes? Vanilla Cupcakes with White Chocolate that’s what! I mean who doesn’t love chocolate? This White Chocolate Vanilla Cupcake recipe with Strawberry Buttercream Frosting is light and moist with just the right amount of crumble. Topped with butter cream icing made with fresh strawberry purreé. Delightful!
White chocolate is not my favourite. I would likely pass on a white chocolate most of the time. But there is something about white chocolate inside what is typically a vanilla based dessert like cheesecake or these vanilla cupcakes that adds a level of richness to the recipe. For me white chocolate with berries is a perfect combination which is why I decided to pair these cupcakes with Strawberry Buttercream frosting.
I am not going to lie. I ran out of frosting when I made these and could only frost about 8 of the 12 cupcakes in my first try at making this recipe so I also frosted some of these White Chocolate Vanilla Cupcakes with chocolate frosting I had around.
Don’t ask me why I have chocolate frosting hanging around. There is such a thing as chocolate cake emergencies…
Turns out White Chocolate Vanilla Cupcakes taste amazing with chocolate icing too! Double chocolate cupcakes! Hello!
Butter is a necessity so be sure to have ample on hand and don’t forget to leave it out to warm up to room temperature. Super important. I however did not plan well and only had pastry flour and unsalted butter on hand. No time to go to the store then wait for the butter to soften. There are always ways to make things work so here are some tips and substitutions for making this recipe.
How to Substitute Unsalted Butter For Salted
The rule of thumb is to add a 1/4 tsp of salt for every 1/2 cup of unsalted butter. Make sure butter is softened to room temp and blend well. Since this recipe uses unsalted butter the reverse would be true. Just leave the extra salt out of the recipe.
Substituting Cake or Pastry Flour for All Purpose Flour
Cake and Pastry flour are lower protein flours which give baked goods like pastry and cookies a lighter fluffier texture but aren’t always the best for holding things together. I bake more cookies than anything else so usually only have pastry flour on hand. One cup and 2 tbsp of pastry flour work out to be the equivalent to 1 cup of all purpose flour.
So much talk about the Vanilla Cupcake Recipe but what about that beautiful Strawberry Buttercream? You can use fresh or frozen strawberries for this but it is important to reduce the pureé down to only 3 tbsp so that there is no water left when reduced. Having even a little bit of water in the frosting will cause the frosting to turn runny and icky.
The strawberry puree turns this simple frosting into a perfectly pink buttercream bursting with strawberry flavour. If you prefer the colour to be more pink simply add 1 or two drops of red food colouring. I am not a huge fan of food colouring and kept the natural soft pink that you see in the pictures.
These White Chocolate Vanilla Cupcakes with Strawberry Buttercream are the perfect dessert for Valentines Day, Girls Night or an upcoming Bridal or Baby Shower. Creamy, light and bursting with flavour these are sure to be a party favourite.
White Chocolate Vanilla Cupcakes with Strawberry Buttercream
- 1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/8 cup or 3 oz unsalted butter softened to room temp
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 oz white chocolate
- 2 large eggs room temp
- 5 fl oz homo milk
Strawberry Buttercream Frosting
- 2 cups sliced strawberries fresh or frozen (thawed)
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter room temp
- 2 1/2 cups icing sugar
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
White Chocolate Vanilla Cupcakes
- Heat oven to 350 F. Line 12 muffin tins with cupcake liners.
- In a medium bowl add flour, baking powder and salt. Mix well and set aside.
- Heat a skillet of water on high until it just starts to simmer. Remove from heat. Add chocolate to a heat proof bowl and place bowl with chocolate into pan being careful not to get any water near the chocolate or the chocolate will seize and get lumpy. Gently stir the chocolate until it is melted, remove from pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl add butter, sugar, oil, vanilla. Mix with a hand mixer on medium/high for 3-4 minutes until well combined. Use the entire 3-4 minutes and keep mixing until butter mixture becomes light and fluffy.
- Add in melted white chocolate and mix well.
- Add in eggs one at a time and keep mixing. Scrape sides of bowl if necessary to ensure all ingredients are mixed well.
- Add in 1/3 of the flour mixture and mix until combined.
- Add in 1/2 of milk mixture and mix until combined. Continue to alternate flour and milk mixtures add in remaining 1/2 of the flour mixture, then rest of milk, then rest of flour mixtures. Ensuring each block of ingredients is mixed well before adding in the next.
- Scoop 1/3 of a cup of batter into cupcake liners. Each cup should be about 2/3 of the way full. Any higher and the cupcakes will go flat and not get that rounded look that is preferred.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes. Test at 25 minutes with a tooth pick. Cupcakes are done when toothpick that is inserted in the centre of a cupcake comes out clean.
- Remove and cool completely before frosting. If frosting at a later day store in a covered contain for up to 2 days or freeze in a sealed container for up to 2 months.
Strawberry Buttercream Frosting
- Puree two cups of fresh or thawed frozen strawberries. You should end up with about 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp of strawberry puree
- Add strawberries to a small saucepan and heat over medium-low heat. Simmer and continue to stir occasionally until strawberries are reduced to 3 tbsp. Takes about 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from stove and transfer to small cup. Cover and store in fridge until completely cooled. To cool quickly you can also put in the freezer for a short bit. Strawberry reduction just be completely cooled before adding to frosting or frosting will melt.
- In a large bowl whip butter on high with electric or hand mixer until it become pale and fluffy scraping bowl occasionally to ensure all butter is whipped.
- Add 1 cup of icing sugar, vanilla and the strawberry reduction. Continue to mix on high until well combined. Ad in remaining 1 1/2 cups icing sugar and continue to mix until frosting is fluffy. Add in and extra 1/4 cup of icing sugar if needed to reach desired consistency.
- Frost and decorate cupcakes as you wish!
If you like this recipe you may also like…