Warm Apple N’Oatmeal – a delicious grain free alternative to traditional oatmeal for breakfast that is loaded with protein, good fats and fibre. The perfect start to any morning and only takes a few minutes to make.
I love oatmeal but I also watch my simple carbohydrate in-take so using up my carbs early in the morning by eating toast, oatmeal or cereal doesn’t always work for me. So my morning go too has become N’Oatmeal! Sometimes a girl needs to save the bread for some tacos or burgers for dinner- anyone feel me on this?
So what is N’Oatmeal?
Well it is just what you think no oats oatmeal. Instead of using oats and grains to fill up on for breakfast n’oatmeal uses seeds like chia and flax, hemp hearts, nuts and fruit to give a similar texture to oatmeal but with fewer carbohydrates and more healthy fats and protein.
What makes N’Oatmeal great is it feels like you are eating a warm cozy bowl of oatmeal but 100% vegan, paleo, gluten free and fits the 21 Day Fix Nutrition Plan. A perfect I breakfast if you are trying to eat a little healthier and fuel your body with the nutrition it needs to metabolize food well, give you the energy for the day and regulate blood sugar levels.
Aren’t Seeds and Nuts Fattening?
Seeds and nuts are high in fat but high in healthy fats. That makes all the difference in the world. Fat is actually not the enemy and believe it or not can actually help your weightloss goals.
Here are some benefits of eating healthy fats like seeds and nuts:
- Healthy fats help us feel full for longer periods of time and providing sustainable energy. In other words if you feel full longer you won’t be looking for sugary snacks to give you energy to get going. You will feel satisfied until your next meal without an energy slump.
- Our hormones need a source of good fat to keep to keep our bodies balanced. Hormonal imbalances are a source of weight gain and well… hanger!
- Our body need fat to function! Our brains are over 60% fat, our lungs have a protective layer of fat and our nerves that control our metabolism and insulin levels use fat.
There are so many more reasons as to why healthy fats are essential to living a healthy life and contribute to weightloss than I will dive into here. But if you would like to find our more check out Dr. Becky Campbell’s article on fat to find out more.
So now let’s get to it and make this recipe all ready!
Wash and chop one medium apple into cubes and place in a small bowl. Any kind of apple will do. In a small bowl combine 1 tbsp chia seeds, 1 tbsp flax seeds, 1 tbsp hemp hearts, 1 tbsp unsweetened shredded coconut and 2 tbsp raisins. You can also add 1 tbsp of your favourite chopped nut. I like chopped walnuts or pecans when I have them.
Add seeds and nuts to the bowl with apples and pour in 1/2 a cup of your favourite dairy free milk like unsweetened almond milk. Warm in the microwave for 1 minute. Stir and serve warm!
Warm Apple N’Oatmeal Recipe
Warm Apple N’Oatmeal - Vegan and Gluten Free
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond
- 1 mediumapple chopped
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp flax seeds
- 1 tbsp hemp hearts
- 1 tbsp unsweetened coconut flakes
- 2 tbsp raisins
- Wash and chop one medium apple into cubes and place in small bowl.
- Add 1 tbsp each of chia seeds, flax seeds, hemp hearts, unsweetened coconut and 2 tbsp raisins.
- Pour in 1/2 a cup of unsweetened almond milk. Mix well.
- Heat in microwave for 1 minute. Mix again and serve immediately.
If you aren’t a fan of apples you can easily swap the apples out for any kind of fruit. Peaches, nectarines, pears or strawberries would work well.
If you like these recipes you might also like…