This Lebanese Style Red Lentil soup is seasoned with cumin, turmeric, paprika and a touch of cayenne pepper … not too spicy but enough to add a little zip! A simple soup made in just over 30 minutes that is sure to become a weeknight favourite!
For years I have been a chicken noodle soup only kind of girl afraid to venture too far beyond. But over the years between travelling, dinner events and meeting new friends I have had the opportunity to try more and more new flavours. Mostly because my mother always taught me you have to eat what is put in front of you.
Well one day while out at a middle eastern take-out restaurant my husband and I were eating in and it was near the end of the day. The owner came over proudly with two bowls of soup, a lentil soup, and said it was on the house. He wanted us to try! Well, of course, I had no choice. At first glance, I was very afraid to try this strange yellow soup. But saying no would have been super insulting. So I dug in. I nearly died. It was the best soup I think I have ever had. I knew then I had to find a recipe that I could make that tasted as close as possible and I think I have succeeded.
One of my other new favourite soups is this Tortilla Soup… chicken is optional!
This soup is very very easy to make and is done in about 40 minutes. It is important to use red lentils for this soup because when simmered they break down much quicker than the green or yellow lentils. The texture of red lentils is sort of velvety. I added one medium potato and used a hand blender to make my Red Lentil Soup smooth.
If you like it to be a little more rustic simply omit the potato and the blender. Want a more brothy soup? Add more broth. This recipe is so accommodating it is very easy to make it whatever you like.
What to serve with Red Lentil SouP
- Warm pita bread or crusty bread
- Baked pita bread pieces that have been tossed in olive oil, salt, pepper and oregano to make pita chips
- A dollop of dairy-free yogurt or if you are not vegan greek yogurt or sour cream
- Additional chilli flakes if you like your soup spicy
- Garlic Toast
- Side Salad
How to Make vegan red lentil soup
IF YOU TRY THIS RECIPE, BE SURE TO TAG ME ON INSTAGRAM, #THEDELICIOUSSPOON, AND LEAVE ME A COMMENT BELOW TO LET ME KNOW HOW YOU LIKE IT!
Vegan Red Lentil Soup
- Large saucepan
- Chopping Knife
- Wooden Spoon
- Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoons
- Soup Ladle
- 3 tbsp olive oil divided
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 1/2 cups red lentils
- 8 cups vegetable stock
- 1 medium potato peeled and quartered
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper optional or more to taste
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- Heat 2 tbsp of olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the chopped onions and garlic and sautee until the onions become transparent. Add 1 tsp turmeric and 1 1/2 tsp cumin and continue to mix and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add 1 additional tsp of olive oil and 1 1/2 cups of red lentils. Sautee for another minute stirring frequently so that lentils do not stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Add 8 cups of vegetable stock, 1 medium potato peeled and cubed, 1 tsp paprika, 1/2 tsp black pepper and 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper (optional) and stir well. Let simmer for 30 minutes on medium-high heat stirring occasionally to ensure lentils do not settle and stick to the bottom.
- Add in the juice of half a lemon and let simmer for another 2 minutes. Remove from heat and serve immediately. For a smoother soup texture remove from heat and carefully use a hand mixer/blender to blend the soup to a smooth texture. Serve immediately.
Pin it for later!
For the step-by-step version of this recipe, check out the How to Make Lebanese Style Red Lentil Soup.