This Honey Lemon Homemade Cough Syrup is the perfect remedy for coughs and sore throats. Make it using just 5-ingredients in 15 minutes and store for up to 2 months in the fridge!
This post is sponsored by BeeMaid. I have been compensated to sponsor this recipe but as always all opinions are my own.
The information in this post and recipe are not intended for medical advice. Always consult your physician for questions or concerns regarding your health.
Soothing and healing are the words that come to mind when I think of this homemade cough remedy. And the best part is that it is so easy to prepare!
This recipe is made with safe natural ingredients so there is no danger of overdosing. Whenever anyone in my family has cough symptoms 2 teaspoons of this homemade cough medicine usually helps to relieve symptoms.
Why I Love This Homemade cough syrup
- Say goodbye to forcing kids to take medicine because they absolutely love this recipe! Plus they are less likely to suspect that they are taking medicine due to the popsicle like appearance of the coughsicles.
- Another bonus is that this honey cough syrup is portable. It can easily be carried around and consumed on the go.
- There are no side effects! So no need to worry about feeling drowsy as you would after taking prescribed cough syrups.
- These coughsicles are cool and refreshing unlike most traditional recipes which helps to reduce irritation caused by inflammation.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Lemon zest and Lemon juice – Add lemon zest and juice to this recipe for delicious citric flavours and health benefits.
- Ginger – The fresher the better for this recipe. Sliced ginger pieces are used for this recipe.
- Water – this will add some body to the mixture.
- BeeMaid Liquid Honey – is my honey of choice for this recipe. Creamed honey can also be used because when it warms it will become thinner and more fluid.
How to Make Honey Lemon Homemade Cough Remedy
Combine lemon zest, sliced ginger and water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 8 minutes.
Next, grab a small mesh sieve, place it over a small measuring cup, pour the mixture and strain the ingredients. This will remove the ginger and lemon zest from the water.
Rinse the saucepan out, pour in 1 1/2 cups of BeeMaid Liquid Honey and the lemon ginger water. Then add 1/2 a cup of the lemon juice and stir over low heat until it combines to form a thick syrup adding more lemon juice to the taste and texture you prefer.
Pour the honey cough syrup into a glass jar and let cool completely before sealing with a tight-fitting lid. Finally, store the natural cough syrup with honey and lemon in the fridge for up to 2 months.
What exactly are coughsicles?
They are very similar to “popsicles” making them fun and more approachable than cough syrup fo kids. However, they include medicinal ingredients like honey, lemon and ginger rather than sweet ingredients. The main aim of coughsicles is to help combat symptoms but in a more enjoyable way. A kid-friendly cough remedy in disguise!
How to Make Coughsicles
Mix together 1/2 a cup of the Honey Lemon Cough Syrup and 1 1/2 cups of water. Then pour the mixture into your favourite popsicle moulds or small plastic containers to freeze. Leave to freeze overnight and serve when you are ready.
Can Honey Stop a Cough?
Adding honey to homemade cough remedies is an age-old way to soothe the throat and suppress coughs.
- It is an effective, natural antimicrobial that inhibits the growth of harmful bacteria.
- Honey has a unique combination of high sugar content which limits the amount of water available to the microorganism for growth. It is also has a high acidity which creates a low pH environment and naturally occurring antioxidants that provide an effective multi-pronged attack.
How Does Ginger Help A Cough?
Ginger has anti-inflammatory properties. It is often added to cough remedies to help ease dry coughs, asthmatic coughs, nausea and pain. A study showed that anti-inflammatory compounds in ginger can reduce coughing by relaxing membranes in the airways.
How Does Drinking Lemon Water Help with a Cough?
Lemon water is great for coughs and sore throats as it helps to break up mucus. Plus it is really refreshing and promotes hydration.
Can I give this honey cough syrup to my Infant?
Despite the fact that honey is good for the body and has healing properties it is advised that it is not given to babies under 6 months. This is because it may cause botulism. Clostridium botulinum spores are present in the honey and soil so once the spores reach the bowels they turn into bacteria and produce bad neurotoxins that are harmful to babies.
Experts recommend parents wait until after your baby’s first birthday to introduce honey into their child’s diet. This includes mass-produced honey, raw and unpasteurized honey, and local honey. This food rule also applies to all foods and baked goods containing honey.
Other Tips To Stop Coughing
Here are a few more things you can do to manage cough symptoms:
- Humidifier – using a humidifier will help to purify the air which will make it easier to breathe.
- Hot baths – the steam from hot baths help to clear nasal airways.
- Sleep with an elevated head – drains excess mucus down the throat.
- Drink plenty of water – this will help to thin the mucus.
- Dust – remove any allergens or irritants from the environment such as smoke, dust, pollen, dander, air fresheners.
- Use a saltwater gargle – Also, helps to thin the mucus.
- Chicken soup – Good old chicken soup never fails and has been used for centuries to combat cough symptoms.
My Favourite Soups When I am Not Feeling Well
Honey Lemon Homemade Cough Syrup
- Measuring Cups
- Popsicle Moulds and Sticks (Optional)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of lemon zest approx. 2 lemons
- 1/4 cup ginger; peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup water
- 3/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cup BeeMaid Liquid Honey
- In a small saucepan, combine the lemon zest, sliced ginger and water. Bring to a boil then reduce the heat and simmer for 8 minutes.
- Strain the mixture through a small mesh sieve into a heat-proof measuring cup to remove the ginger and lemon zest from the water.
- Rinse the saucepan out and pour in 1 1/2 cups of BeeMaid Liquid Honey, and the lemon ginger water. Add 1/2 a cup of the lemon juice and stir over low heat until it combines to form a thick syrup adding more lemon juice to the taste and texture you prefer.
- Pour the homemade cough remedy into a glass jar and let cool completely before sealing with a tight-fitting lid. Store in the fridge for up to 2 months.
- Mix together 1/2 cup of the Honey Lemon Cough Syrup and 1 1/2 cups of water. Pour the mixture into your favourite popsicle moulds or small plastic containers to freeze. Let freeze overnight.
- Humidifier – using a humidifier will help to purify the air.
- Hot baths – the steam from hot baths help to clear airways.
- Sleep with an elevated head – this helps excess mucus to be drained down the throat.
- Drink plenty of water – this will thin the mucus.
- Dust – Remove any allergens or irritants from the environment such as smoke, dust, pollen, dander, air fresheners.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.