Made with shredded beef, cheddar cheese, and arugula, these Roast Beef Sliders with Horseradish Mayo make an easy dinner or appetizer. The best part? All you need is a microwave!
These roast beef sliders with horseradish mayo have become one of my go-to’s for both a quick, easy meal and an appetizer for nicer gatherings.
They take a whole 20 minutes to prepare and there’s hardly any cooking required. While you CAN prepare the pot roast on the stovetop or in the oven, I find the microwave works just as well.
My family loves these for a quick weeknight dinner and it’s one of my favorite ways to use up leftover roast beef but I’ve also made these as an appetizer at gatherings and dinner parties. As far as sliders go, these are a bit “elevated”, thanks to the mayo and arugula, so they work in situations where you may want a nicer appetizer.
Ingredients & Substitutions
- Roast beef – I recommend Lou’s Beef Pot Roast to make this a quick and easy dinner. It’s pre-cooked, so all you need to do is heat it up. You can also use leftover roast beef.
- Horseradish – You can control the spice level of these shredded beef sliders by using mild or hot horseradish.
- Mayonnaise – Mixed with the horseradish to make the horseradish mayo sauce.
- Lemon juice – A small squeeze of lemon juice helps to balance the other flavors in the mayo.
- Arugula – The peppery taste of arugula pairs well with the other flavors in these beef sliders.
- Cheddar cheese – Slices of old cheddar work best.
- Slider buns
How to Make Roast Beef Sliders with Horseradish Mayo
Begin by making the horseradish mayo. Combine the mayo, horseradish, lemon juice, and salt in a small bowl. Mix well then set aside.
To prepare the roast beef, you have two options. You can use homemade roast beef shredded and mixed with gravy or a prepared roast beef such as Lou’s Beef Pot Roast.
You can prepare Lou’s Beef Pot Roast according to the package directions in the oven or stovetop but honestly, I just use the microwave because the beef is already cooked. I use two packages in this recipe to feed my family of 4, so you’ll need to increase the heat time a little bit longer than what it says on the single package. I add both packages to a large bowl, cover with a microwave-safe splash guard, and microwave for about 6 minutes.
Once the pot roast is heated through, transfer it to a cutting board and shred it with forks.
Transfer the shredded beef back to the bowl and mix into the juices or gravy, to keep the beef nice and moist.
To assemble the sliders, slice the buns in half. Spread horseradish mayo on one half, add half a slice of cheese, and top with a heaping spoonful of shredded beef and a small pile of arugula. Add the top bun and enjoy!
Pulled Beef Sliders Variations
Here are a few different variations you can make with these roast beef and cheddar sliders.
- Can I use roast beef deli slices? Technically, yes, you can. BUT, you will miss out on the rich beef au jus or gravy, which adds a lot of flavor to these sliders.
- Use leftover roast beef. I love the Lou’s Pot Roast when I need an easy dinner fast but my favorite time to make these shredded beef sliders is actually when I have leftover roast beef in the fridge. It’s a great way to use leftovers!
- Make spicy roast beef sliders. Feel free to use hot horseradish to add more of a kick to the mayo, if that’s your thing.
- Make the English sandwich version. Another fun variation of pot roast sliders is to make English roast beef sandwiches. Use two pieces of white bread instead of sliders and just add more gravy over the meat, then sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
These roast beef sliders are best served warm or hot. I would not recommend serving them cold, as the juice or gravy becomes thick and a bit unpleasant (in my opinion).
Roast beef and cheddar sliders can be served as an appetizer or turned into an easy dinner, with a side dish or two.
How to Store Leftovers
Once assembled, these shredded beef sliders should be served immediately. However, you can store the various components of the recipe in the fridge, if you have extras.
The horseradish mayo will last for several days when stored in an airtight container in the fridge. The shredded roast beef and gravy can also be stored in an airtight container for 2-3 days and reheated in the microwave.
More Appetizers to Try
- Asparagus Cheese Tart
- Italian Cream Cheese Pinwheels
- Buffalo Turkey Meatballs
- Italian Bruschetta on Sourdough Crostini
Roast Beef Sliders with Horseradish Mayo
- 2 packages Lou's Beef Pot Roast
- 2 1/2 tsp horseradish
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup arugula
- 4 slices old cheddar cheese
- 8 slider buns
- Add the mayonnaise, horseradish, lemon juice and salt into a bowl and mix until combined. Set aside.
- Prepare the Roast Beef. You can use roast beef shredded mixed with gravy or for a quick and easy meal I like to use Lou’s Beef Pot Roast. Make as per package directions either on stove top or in the oven if you have the time but I just use the microwave because the beef is already cooked and you are just really heating it up. I add both packages to a large bowl, cover with a microwave safe splash guard or lid and microwave for 6 minutes or until heated through.
- Remove the roast beef from the bowl, leaving the juices behind, and transfer to a cutting board. Use to forks to shred the beef.
- Add the shredded beef back to the bowl and mix the juices or gravy with the beef to keep the beef nice and moist.
- To assemble the sliders, slice the buns in half. Spread horseradish mayo over on half, add half a slice of cheese, and top with a heaping spoonful of shredded beef and a small pile of arugula. Add the top bun and enjoy!
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.