Spring has sprung and with that comes the onset of fresh salad season and spring veggies! Asparagus is one of the first vegetables to make an appear on the scene. So grab grab a bunch and give this beautiful Asparagus Salad dressed with a light citrus vinaigrette and some chopped pistachios a try!
Raw Asparagus and Pistachio Salad
Asparagus is one of my favourite vegetables on earth. You can prepare it in so many ways I find it very hard to get bored of this vegetable. Depending on how you make it asparagus also has a way of changing it’s flavour profile. Kind like the chameleon of veggies.
When served raw it has a bright, clean taste with a little earthiness. And when barbecued it tends to bring out a nutty flavour. For more information on the types of asparagus and how they taste check out this post from VegByte.
It is best to eat asparagus when it is fresh. Over time the stalks can begin to dry out which brings on sometimes a little bitterness as well as a toughness. Here are some tips for storing asparagus.
How to Store Asparagus
- Place asparagus in a container of about 2″ fresh cool water with the spears facing upwards and upright
- Cover the tops of the asparagus spears with a loose fitting plastic bag. The thin clear plastic bags from the grocery store are perfect
- Asparagus can be stored for up to a week in the refrigerator this way
This salad can be made in under 10 minutes and requires very few ingredients. To make simply wash the asparagus thoroughly. Cut the ends of the stalks off to remove any dry ends. Hold the asparagus spear by the head and use a potato peeler to shave the stalks into thin pieces.
Place shaved asparagus in a bowl and toss with olive oil, lemon juice and vinegar. Add salt and pepper to taste and garnish with chopped pistachios.
How to make Asparagus Salad with Citrus Vinaigrette and Pistachios:
Asparagus Salad with Citrus Vinaigrette and PistachiosPrint Pin Rate
- 1 lb fresh asparagus
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1 pinch cracked black pepper
- 2 tbsp chopped pistachios
- Wash and trim ends off of asparagus
- With a potato peeler holding the head of the asparagus spear peel the asparagus stalk into fine slivers and place in a medium bowl
- Add 2 tbsp olive oil, 1 tbsp vinegar, 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste. Toss to cover asparagus evenly.
- Add chopped pistachios and serve cold.
Perfect for spring yes… but don’t be afraid to eat this salad all year! It is perfect alongside white fish or BBQ chicken like this Honey Sriracha Chicken recipe.